For a better experience, click the Compatibility Mode icon above to turn off Compatibility Mode, which is only for viewing older websites.

Materials That Can Be Recycled

The following materials can be recycled on campus:

Mixed paper such as: office paper, shredded paper, colored paper, gloss coated paper, brochures, pamphlets, books, magazines, envelopes, file folders, notepads and notebook paper. The University has a preferred vendor, DOCUVAULT that can provide departments with secured paper shredding. To contact DOCUVAULT, call 856.853.5160.

Co-mingled Items
Co-mingled aluminum, glass and plastic. Food containers should be thoroughly rinsed clean before being placed in the co-mingled containers. University Facilities and Real Estate Grounds Maintenance Department transports co-mingled recyclables to a Drexel storage facility located at 43rd Street and Powelton Avenue for collection by a contracted recycling vendor.

All cardboard can be recycled. Drexel has four cardboard balers where cardboard is prepared for recycling. In academic buildings, place cardboard outside office in hallways. In residence halls, place cardboard at designated floor trash locations.

Cooking Oils
100 percent of cooking waste oil is collected to be converted into bio-fuel. Cooking waste oil is recycled from all of Campus Dining’s locations: Northside Market (34th and Race Streets), Ross Commons (34th Street and Powelton Avenue), Handschumacher Dining Center (32nd and Chestnut Streets) and the Queen Lane Campus (2900 Queen Lane).

Other Materials
Additional materials such as: light ballasts, light tubes, light bulbs, computers, tires, motor oil, industrial sized batteries, furniture and electronic equipment, waste toner and ink cartridges can be recycled. For details on how to recycle each of these items, consult the Drexel Green Recycling Guide [PDF].

Grass clippings, leaves and small tree trimmings. The University Facilities and Real Estate Grounds Maintenance Department oversees the turning of the material into serviceable compost that can be used to support top soil and plant beds.