Project & Construction Management
Project & Construction Management oversees all new construction, renovation or relocation projects for the Health Sciences Campuses. The office works closely with Space Planning & Design as they transition the Project Planning Request through the Capital Project Process, the initial phases of construction, design implementation, and final project completion.
Project & Construction Management manages the programming and implementation of the design plans and budgetary responsibilities. The department is responsible for monitoring, inspecting and meeting compliance of all codes and regulations for each design and construction project. All relocation and construction labor is subject to union fees and minimum time allotments.
Services of Project & Construction Management
A project manager is assigned to each project to ensure that it is completed on time, within budget and in accordance with all University standards and practices. Some of the services include:
- Schedule Creation – Generate specific project schedules for all construction services based on the scope of the project.
- Construction Administration – The group is responsible for monitoring and inspecting contractors’ work and ensuring that contractors comply with all codes and regulations for each project.
- Project Budget Management - Provide the best project and long-term value, working within funding framework.
- Relocation Services – Assist with interim and final moves of both University personnel and equipment.
There are a few different types of projects that the Health Sciences Campus Operations can assist in planning.
- Capital Project
All maintenance, repair and renovation work that requires $5,000 or more in time/materials, as well as requiring design and construction services. A Preliminary Budget Estimate (PBE) is required for this type of project.
- Renovation Project
Work that materially changes the programmatic purpose of an existing space and may require contracted design/construction services. Examples include:
- converting a classroom into a laboratory
- adding space through construction
- demolishing walls in an office
- upgrading the existing programmatic use of the space
- Maintenance Project
Repair, replacement and regular maintenance to electrical, mechanical or aesthetic elements in University facilities. Services can be coordinated through Maintenance and Operations.