For a better experience, click the Compatibility Mode icon above to turn off Compatibility Mode, which is only for viewing older websites.

DEA Controlled Substances

The Drug Enforcement Agency's (DEA) Office of Diversion Control regulates the purchase, storage and use of controlled substances under Title 21 Code of Federal Regulations Part 1300. The Office of Diversion Control requires individuals who purchase, store and handle controlled substances to be licensed with the DEA. Licensed individuals are solely responsible for complying with the regulation and can be criminally prosecuted for non-compliance. Contact the Department of Environmental Health and Safety for assistance in understanding the regulations.

The Department of Environmental Health and Safety has developed a disposal program to assist the research and clinical operations in the disposal of unwanted or expired controlled substances. The overall goal is to ensure the materials are handled and disposed in a safe and controlled manner. Licensed researchers and clinical personnel can submit a chemical pickup request to initiate the disposal process. The University utilizes a third party reverse distributor to destroy all controlled substances.

Individuals in possession of controlled substances who are not licensed or have an expired license must contact the Special Agent in Charge in the area to determine the disposal process.