Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, University of Missouri-Rolla
M.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Missouri-Rolla
M.S., Engineering Management, University of Missouri-Rolla
M.S., Production Management, Istanbul University; Istanbul, Turkey
B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Istanbul Technical University; Istanbul, Turkey
B.S., Engineering Technology, M.S., Engineering Technology
- Drexel University, School of Technology and Professional Studies (2010-present) Associate Professor, Engineering Technology
- Allen School of Technology, Trine University (2003-2010) Associate Professor, Engineering Technology
- Western Kentucky University (1999-2003) Assistant Professor, Architectural and Manufacturing Sciences
- Lumbee Enterprises- St. Louis, Missouri (1998-99) Quality Control Engineer
- Toyota Motor Manufacturing- Turkey (1993-95) Quality Assurance Engineer
Areas of Expertise:
- Computer Aided Design (CAD) & Computer Aided Manufacturing (CAM)
- Computer Numerical Control (CNC) of Manufacturing Processes
- Toyota Production System, Lean Manufacturing
- Quality Control, 6σ, SPC
- Finite Element Analysis
- Design For Manufacturing and Assembly (DFMA)
- Product Development, Reverse Engineering and Rapid Prototyping
- High speed machining with micromachining applications
- Machining process optimization and condition monitoring
- CNC machine tool calibration
- Neural networks and data mining and Taguchi methods
- Student learning enhancement using online simulation tools
Yalcin Ertekin received his Ph.D. degree in mechanical Engineering from Missouri University of Science and Technology (formerly The University of Missouri-Rolla). He is a Certified Quality Engineer (CQE) and Certified Manufacturing Engineer (CMfgE). His teaching responsibilities include Computer Numerical Control, manufacturing processes, applied quality control, mechanical design, and applied mechanics, manufacturing information management systems, introduction to technology and graphical communication, as well as senior design courses. He developed two online graduate courses: rapid prototyping and product design and lean manufacturing principles for the MSET program.
Dr. Ertekin has over six years of industrial experience related to quality and design engineering, mostly in automotive industry. He worked for Toyota Motor Corporation as a quality assurance engineer for two years and lived in Toyota City, Japan. His area of expertise is in CAD/CAM, manufacturing processes, machine design with CAE methods, rapid prototyping, CNC machining and quality control.
His research interest includes sensor based condition monitoring of machining processes, machine tool accuracy characterization and enhancement, non-invasive surgical tool design and bio-materials applications. During his career, Dr. Ertekin published papers in referred journals and in conference proceedings in his area of research interest. He has also been PI for various NSF research projects including NSF-TUES and MRI programs. Dr. Ertekin is an active member in the Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME), and currently serves as a chair of Philadelphia SME Chapter-15.
- Chiou, R., Ertekin, Y., Mauk, M., “Integration of E-Quality Laboratory Modules with Engineering Computer Numerical Control Course,” 2011, ASEE International Conference, Vancouver, B.C., Canada
- Kwon, Y., Tseng, B., Ertekin, Y., "Characterization of Closed-Loop Measurement Accuracy in Precision CNC Milling," Journal of Robotics & Computer Integrated Manufacturing, 2006, 22. No. 4, pp. 288-296
- Kwon, Y., Ertekin, Y. Tseng, B., "In-Process & Post-Process Quantification of Machining Accuracy in Circular CNC Milling," Journal of Machining Science and Technology, 9(1), 2005, pp.27-38.
- Tseng, B., Kwon, Y. & Ertekin, Y., "Feature-based rule induction in machining operation using rough set theory quality assurance," Journal of Robotics & Computer Integrated Manufacturing, 21, 2005, pp.559-567.
- Kwon, Y., Ertekin, Y., Tseng, B.: “Characterization of tool wear measurement with relation to the surface roughness in turning,” Journal of Machining Science and Technology, 8 (1), 2004, pp.39-51.
- Ertekin, Y., Kwon, Y., Tseng, B: “Identification of Common Sensory Features for the Control of CNC Milling Operations under Varying Cutting Conditions,” International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, 43 (9), 2003, pp.897-904.
- Ertekin, Y., Okafor, A. C.: “Derivation of Machine Tool Error Models and Error Compensation Procedure for 3 axes Vertical Machining Center Using Rigid Body Kinematics,” International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, 40 (8), pp.1199-1213, 2000. Presented at the ASPE 13th Annual Meeting, St. Louis, MO, October 25-30, 1998.