Ph.D. Physics, 1999, The University of Western Ontario, London, Canda.
Ph.D. Electrical Power Engineering, 2001, University "Politehnica" Bucharest, Romania.
M.Sc. Electronics and Telecommunication (Radar and Remote Sensing), 1986, The Polytechnic University of Bucharest, Romania
M.Sc. Atmosphere Physics and Meterology, 1979, The University of Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania.
- Assistant Professor 09/2008 – present, Drexel University, College of Professional Studies, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Research Assistant Professor 10/2007 – 09/2008, Desert Research Institute, Division of Atmospheric Sciences, Mesoscale Modeling Group and Renewable Energy Center, Reno, Nevada
- Assistant Professor, 08/2006-05/2007, College of Engineering and Sciences Department of Earth and Atmosphere Sciences, St Cloud State University, St Cloud, Minnesota.
- Assistant Professor, 08/2001-05/2006, Division of Engineering Technology, College of Engineering, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan
- Research Associate, 12/1998 – 08/2001, Remote Sensing Laboratory, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri.
- Lecturer, Adjunct Researcher and Teaching Assistant 06/1994 -12/1998, Department of Physics and Astronomy, and Department of Electrical Engineering (Radar Sciences Group), The University of Western Ontario, London, Canada.
- Senior Lecturer, Faculty of Physics and Electrical Engineering, 09/1991-06/994, The University “Ovidius” of Constanta, Romania. Director of Electrical Machines and Electronics Laboratories.
- Senior Scientist/Engineer, 06/1987-09/1991 Laboratory for Load Forecasting, Center for Power System Monitoring and Control, Computer-Aided Design of Energy Conversion Systems, Power Electronics and Control Systems, ITCI - The Institute for Computer Techniques and Informatics, and ICEMENERG - Romanian Institute for Research in Power Systems, Romanian State Power Corporation, Bucharest, Romania.
- Senior Scientist/Engineer 09/1985-06/1987, High-Voltage Center and Laboratory of Power System and Power Electronics; Faculty of Power Engineering, The University “Politehnica” Bucharest, Romania.
- Senior Physicist, 07/1979-09/1985, Division of Radar and Remote Sensing and Division of Instrumentation and Control, The National Institute of Meteorology and Hydrology, Bucharest, Romania.
Areas of Expertise:
- Renewable energy – Wind and Solar Energy
- Distributed and Embedded Generation
- Power System Analysis and Control, Power Quality
- Power Electronics and ControlElectric Machines
- Numerical Electromagnetics, Lighting Electromagnetics, Power System Protection
- Instrumentation, Radar and Remote Sensing in Atmospheric Research
- Mesoscale Modeling, Boundary Layer Flows
- Climate Impacts of Energy Generatio
- Research interests included analysis, assessment, design, control and protection of renewable energy (wind and PV/solar) systems, distributed generation and microgrids, smart grid communication and computational intelligence, grid integration of renewable energy systems, power definitions, power system analysis and protection, power electronics and electric machines. In the past he was involved in research in radar and remote sensing, instrumentation, waves and turbulence, atmosphere physics, numerical modeling, electromagnetic compatibility and engineering education.
Dr. Radian Belu is Assistant Professor within the Department of Engineering Technology, College of Engineering, Drexel University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA. He holds PhDs in power engineering and physics. Before joining the Drexel University, Dr. Belu was a faculty and research professor at universities and research institutes in Romania, Canada and United States. He also worked for several years in the industry as a senior engineer, project manager, and senior consultant. He has taught and developed undergraduate and graduate courses in power systems, control and power electronics, renewable energy, electric machines, instrumentation, radar and remote sensing, numerical methods and data analysis, environmental and applied physics.
His research interests includes analysis, assessment, design, control and protection of renewable energy (wind and PV/solar) systems, distributed generation and microgrids, smart grid communication and computational intelligence, grid integration of renewable energy systems, power definitions, power system analysis and protection, power electronics and electric machines. In the past he was involved in research in radar and remote sensing, instrumentation, waves and turbulence, atmosphere physics, numerical modeling, electromagnetic compatibility and engineering education.
During his career, Dr. Belu published several book chapters and papers in referred journals and conference proceedings in his areas of the research interests. He has been PI or Co-PI for various research projects, in United States and abroad, in power systems, renewable energy, power quality, waves and turbulence, radar and remote sensing, instrumentation, physics, electromagnetic compatibility, and engineering education.
- Belu R.G and D. Koracin - Statistical and Spectral Analysis of the Wind Characteristics and Variability in Western Nevada, J. Wind. Eng. Ind. Appl., 2010 (submitted).
- Belu R.G., and R. Choiu - Life Cycle Analysis of an Autonomous Hybrid Integrated Power System, Journal of the Chinese Institute of Engineers, 2010 (accepted).
- Belu R.G. and D. Koracin – Wind Characteristics and Wind Energy Potential in Western Nevada, Renewable Energy, Vol. 34(10), pp. 2246-2251, 2009.
- Belu R.G., A. Paun, and A.C. Belu – Neural Networks in Measurement and Instrumentation (Part I), Romanian Journal of Information Science and Technology, 6, no. 1-2, pp. 61-86, 2003.
- Belu R.G. – Indoor Radio Propagation Models, Romania J. of Information Science and Tech., vol.5, no. 1-2, pp. 9-33, 2002.
- Belu R.G., W.K. Hocking, N. Donaldson, and T. Tayaparan – Comparisons of Horizontal Winds Measured by the CLOVAR Wind-profiler Radar against Winds Measured by Radiosondes and with Winds Extracted from CMC Regional Analysis, Atmosphere-Ocean, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 107-126, 2001.
- Davis C.H., R.G. Belu, and G. Fang – Elevation Change in East Antarctica Ice Sheet, 1978 – 1986, IEEE Transactions on Geosciences and Remote Sensing, vol. 39, no.1, pp.635-645, 2001.
- Belu R.G., and W.K. Hocking - Frontal Generation of Gravity Waves as Seen by the Multi-Instrument Observations (Radar, Microbarograph Systems, Radiosondes), STEP (Solar Transfer Energy Program) Handbook, July 2000, pp.163-167.
- Belu R.G. – Sensitivity of the Ray-Tracing Models to the Fluctuations of Background (Wind and Temperature) Fields, STEP Handbook, July 2000, pp. 171-175.
- Belu R.G. – Virtual Laboratory for Study of Electric Machines Parameters and Characteristics, 2010 ASEEE Conference & Exposition, June 20 - 23, Louisville, Kentucky (accepted)
- Belu R.G. – Development of an E-learning System and Virtual Laboratory for Renewable Energy Sources, 2010 ASEEE Conference & Exposition, June 20 - 23, Louisville, Kentucky (accepted)
- Belu R.G. – A Learning-by-Doing Approach to Teaching Computational Physics, 2010 ASEEE Conference & Exposition, June 20 - 23, Louisville, Kentucky (accepted)
- Belu R.G., and R. Chiou, Life Cycle Analysis of an Autonomous Hybrid Integrated Power System, Int. Conf on Manufacturing and Engineering Systems (MES 2009), Taiwan, 2009 (CD Proceedings)
- Horvath K., D. Koracin, R. Vellore, R.G. Belu, and T. McCord, Evaluation of sub-kilometer dynamical downscaling over the complex terrain, AGU Fall Meeting, Wind Power Meteorology, San Francisco, California, 15-17 December 2009.Koracin D,, R. Vellore, B. Hatchett, T. McCord, J. Kahyaoglu-Koracin, K. Horvath, and R. Belu, Variability of climate predictions relevant to hydrological resources, AGU Fall Meeting, San Francisco, California, 15-17 December 2009 (CD Proceedings).
- Koracin D., R. Vellore R. Belu, and J. Koracin, Wind Energy Resources in Future Climate Change, International Conference on Environmental Management, Engineering, Planning and Economics (CEMEPE 09) & SECOTOX Conference, Greece, June, 2009 (Conference Proceedings).
- Belu R.G. and A.C. Belu – Using Symbolic Computation, Visualization and Computer Simulation Tools to Enhance Teaching and Learning of Engineering Electromagnetics, June 14-17, 2009 Annual ASEE Conference and Exposition, Austin, Texas (CD Proceedings).
- Belu R.G. and A.C. Belu – Teaching Physics with Computer Algebra Systems, June 14-17, 2009 Annual ASEE Conference and Exposition, Austin, Texas (CD Proceedings)
- Belu R.G. - A Project-based Power Electronics Course with an Increased Content of Renewable Energy Applications, June 14-17, 2009 Annual ASEE Conference and Exposition, Austin, Texas (CD Proceedings).
- Koracin D., R. Belu, R. Vellore, and T. McCord, Wind Energy Assessment for Nevada – Measurements and Modeling, 27 May, 2009 DRI/NREL Renewable Energy Workshop, Reno, Nevada.
- Belu R.G. and G. Jumper – Optical turbulence and gravity wave activity as seen in radiosonde observations, 2009 AIAA Annual Conference and Exposition, January 5-9, 2009, Orlando, Florida.
- Koracin D., R. Vellore, and R. Belu - Evaluation of sub-kilometer simulations using towers for wind energy assessment, AGU Fall Conference, December 15-18, 2008, San Francisco, CaliforniaBelu R.G. – Using Finite Difference Methods instead of Standard Calculus in Teaching Physics, 2007 Annual ASEE Conference and Exposition, Honolulu, Hawaii (CD Proceedings).
- Belu R.G. and A.C. Belu – A Decision Support Software Application for Design of Hybrid Solar-Wind Power Systems- as Teaching-Aid, 2007 Annual ASEE Conference, and Exposition, Honolulu, Hawaii (CD Proceedings).
- Belu R.G. – Dimensional Analysis a useful Tool in teaching Physics, 2006 Annual ASEE Conference, Chicago, July 2006 (CD Proceedings).
- Belu R.G. and A.C. Belu – Development a Web-based Course in Renewable Energy Sources, 2006 Annual ASEE Conference, Chicago, July 2006 CD Proceedings).
- Belu R.G. – Development and Implementation of a Cooperative/Distributed Instrumentation and Measurement Laboratory for Diverse Student Population, 2006 Annual ASEE Conference, Chicago, July 2006 CD Proceedings).
- Belu R.G. and A.C. Belu – Teaching Electrical Engineering Using Symbolic Computation, 2005 Annual ASEE Conference Proceedings, June 12-15, Portland, Oregon, 2005. (CD Proceedings).