Richard Y. Chiou
B.S., National Central University, Taiwan Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, 1983
M.S., Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, Oklahoma Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering, 1989
Doctoral, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Georgia Ph.D. in Mechannical Engineering, 1995
B.S., Engineering Technology, M.S., Engineering Technology
- 07/03 - Present: Associate Professor,Engineering Technology, School of Technology and Professional Studies, Goodwin College, Drexel University.
- 04/04 - Current: Affiliated Faculty, Department of Mechanical Engineering and Mechanics, College of Engineering.
- 01/96 - 06/03: Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering Technology, IMAM Coordinator, and Director of Mechatronics Lab, Temple University
- 08/98 - 08/02: Design Consultant, Holo Image Technology, Pennsylvania.
- 08/96 - 08/99: Design Consultant, Amtrak, Pennsylvania0
- 4/95 - 11/95: Co-op Manufacturing Engineer, Tie Down Engineering, Georgia
- 03/95 - 11/95: Postdoctor in Manufacturing - Georgia Tech, Georgia.
- 01/92 - 05/95: Teaching/Lab Assistant, Mechanical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology.
- 09/88 - 08/89: Mechanical System Designer, Integrated Manufacturing System, Ok
- 07/83 - 07/87: Mechanical Design Engineer, ChungHwa Picture Tubes, Taiwan
- Drexel Research Day Award, Faculty Advisor, 2011
- Best Paper Award - the World Multiconference on Systemics, Cybernetics, and Informatics (WMSCI 2010)
- Drexel Most Outstanding Masters Award of Research Excellence, Thesis Advisor, 2010
- Drexel Research Day Award, Faculty Advisor, 2010
- Drexel Research Day Award and Honorable Mention, Faculty Advisor, 2009
- Best paper award - the International Symposium on Engineering Education and Educational Technologies (EEET 2009)
- Marquis Who's Who in America, 2008
- SME Certificate of Appreciation for Education Committee service, 2008
- “Fusing Green Energy into Manufacturing Engineering Education to Cultivate Technical Success and Leadership Excellence among Hispanic Engineering Students,” PI: Richard Chiou, Co-PIs: Michael Mauk and Radian Belu, in collaboration with the University of Texas at El Paso (UTEP), US Department of Education DHSIP, 10/1/12-9/31/17, Drexel receives $750,000.
- “Solar Cell Imaging: A Gateway for Visualization and Learning STEM Disciplines,” PI: Michael Mauk, Co-PIs: Richard Chiou and Ying Sun, National Science Foundation, January 2013 – December 2015, $180,480.
- “Lab on a Chip: Integrating Microfluidics into the Applied Engineering Curriculum,” PI: Michael Mauk, Co-PIs: Freddie Reisman, Vladimir Genis, and Richard Chiou, National Science Foundation, January 2011 – December 2013, $199,996.
- “Enhancement in Online Laboratory Learning,” Richard Chiou, William F. Lynch, Michel Miller, and Yongjin Kwon, U.S. Department of Education, 1/1/2007-12/31/2009, $410,465.
- "E-Quality for Manufacturing (EQM) Integrated with Web-enabled Production Systems for Engineering Technology Education," PI, with Co-PI(s): William F. Lynch, Michael Mauk, Vladimir Genis, and Yongjin Kwon, National Science Foundation, 10/1/06-9/30/09, $457,999.
- "Implementation and Enhancement of Internet Based Robotics, Automation, and CAD/CAM/CNC in a New Manufacturing Engineering Technology Curriculum," PI, with Co-PI(s): Yongjin Kwon
- Internet-based robotics and automation
- Online lab learning
- green energy and sustainable manufacturing
Richard Chiou’s (PhD) educational background is in mechanical engineering with an emphasis on mechatronics. In addition to his many years of industrial experience, he has taught many different engineering and technology courses at undergraduate and graduate levels. His tremendous experience in sensor monitoring and control includes environmentally conscious manufacturing, Internet based mechatronics, and Web based quality. Dr. Chiou areas of teaching emphasis include manufacturing materials, robotics, mechatronics, applied mechanics, automation, and sustainable and green manufacturing. In the classroom, his teaching methods emphasize creativity and active hands-on learning.
In the past years, he has been involved in sustainable design for maximizing energy and material recovery while minimizing environmental impact. He has conducted many experimental studies on dry machining for human exposure and health hazard analysis in green manufacturing. He incorporates his online course sustainable and green manufacturing with industrial energy efficiency. He has secured many research and education grants from the National Science Foundation, the US Department of Education, the Society of Manufacturing Engineers Education Foundation, and industries. Techniques developed from his research projects have been extended to the educational activities involving green energy manufacturing with life cycle energy assessment.
- Sustainable and Green Manufacturing
- Applied Mechanics
- Manufacturing Materials
- Engineering Graphics
- Applied Dynamics
- Robotics and Mechatronics
- Advanced Robotics and Mechatronics
- Computer Numerical Control (CNC)
- Manufacturing Control Systems (PLC)
- Advanced Control of Manufacturing Processes
- Tool and Die Design
- Industrial Management
- Vibrations and Controls
- Dynamic Systems
- Dynamics and Solids Lab
- Vibrations and Controls Lab
- Design and Materials Lab
- Experimental Methodology
- Mechanical Systems Lab
- Richard Y. Chiou and Irina N. Ciobanescu Husanu, “Design of a Web-enabled Robotic System for Quality Control Laboratory,“ Accepted by Computers in Education Journal, 2014.
- Lu L, Zhang Q, Wootton D, Chiou R, Li D, Lu B, Lelkes P, Zhou J., “Mechanical Study on Polycaprolactone-Hydroxyapatite Porous Scaffolds by Porogen-Based Solid Freeform Fabrication Method,” Journal of Applied Biomaterials and Biomechanics, in press, 2013.
- Richard Chiou, Yongjin (James) Kwon, and Tzu-Liang (Bill) Tseng, “Micro-3D Vision for MEMS Positioning,” Vol. 3, No. 4, pp. 17-25, Computers in Education Journal, October – December 2012.
- Lin Lu, David Wootton, Qingwei Zhang, Richard Chiou, Peter Lelkes, Dichen Li, Bingheng Lu, Jack Zhou, “Biocompatibility and biodegradation studies of PCL/b-TCP bone tissue scaffold fabricated by structural porogen method,” Journal of materials science. Materials in medicine 23(9):2217-26, 2012.
- Richard Chiou, Yongjin (James) Kwon, and Robin Kizirian, “Design and Implementation of 3D Digital Visualization Technologies for E-Lab Learning,” Computers in Education Journal, Vol. XXI, Number 1, January - March, 1-12, 2011.
- Richard Chiou and Yongjin (James) Kwon, “Remotely Adjustable Robotic Grip Force for the Network-based Assembly Automation,” The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 54, Numbers 9-12, 1145-1154, 2011.
- Richard Chiou, Yongjin (James) Kwon, Tzu-Liang (Bill) Tseng, and Robin Kizirian, and Yueh-Ting Yang, “Real-time Stereoscopic 3D for E-Robotics Learning,” Journal of Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics, Vol. 9 – No. 1, pp. 8-13, 2011.
- Richard Chiou, Michael Mauk, and Yongjin (James) Kwon, “Six Sigma-Based Quality Control Laboratory for Engineering and Technology Education Innovation,” International Journal of Engineering Research and Innovation, Vol. 2, No. 2, Fall/Winter 2010.
- Richard Chiou, Yongjin Kwon, Bill Tseng, Yueh-Ting Yang, and Robin Kizirian, “Enhancement of Online Robotics Learning Using 3-D Visualization Technology,” Journal of Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics, Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 46-51, 2010.
- Richard Chiou & Yongjin (James) Kwon, “Network-based Remote Closed-Loop Force Control Using LabVIEW,” Computers in Education Journal 2009, Vol. XVIII, No. 4, pp. 2-11, Oct-Dec, 2009.
- Richard Chiou, Yongjin Kwon, and Prathaban Mookiah, “Manufacturing E-Quality Through Integrated Web-enabled Computer Vision and Robotics,” The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Volume 43, Numbers 7-8, pp. 720-730, August, 2009. Yongjin Kwon and Richard Chiou, “Automated Vision Inspection in Network-based Production Environment,” The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Volume 45, Numbers 1-2, pp. 81-90, November, 2009.
- Yongjin Kwon, Richard Chiou, and Leonard Stepanskıy, “Remote, Condition-based Maintenance for Web-enabled Robotic System,” Robotics and Computer Integrated Manufacturing, Volume 25, Issue 3, pp. 552-558, June 2009.
- Richard Chiou, Yongjin Kwon, and Bill Tseng, “Java Programming for Online Quality Control Laboratory Integrated with Remote Robot,” Computers in Education Journal, Vol. XVIII, No. 3, pp. 42-54, July-September, 2008.
- Richard Chiou and Yongjin Kwon, “Internet-controllable Vortex Tube Experiments for Thermodynamics Laboratory Class,” Computers in Education Journal, pp. 2-8, Vol. XVIII, No., October–December, 2008.
- Richard Chiou, Yongjin Kwon, Bill Tseng, “Java Programming for Online Quality Control Laboratory Integrated with Remote Robot,” Computers in Education Journal, Vol. XVIII, No. 3, pp. 42, July-September, 2008.
- Richard Chiou, Yongjin Kwon, Shreepud Rauniar, and Horacio Sosa, "Visual Basic Programming for Internet-based Robotic Control", Computers in Education Journal, pp. 81, Vol. XVII, April – June of 2007.
- Richard Y. Chiou, Jim S J. Chen, Lin Lu, and Mark T. North, "Investigation of Dry Machining with Embedded Heat Pipe Cooling by Finite Element Analysis and Experiments," International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Volume 31, Numbers 9-10/January, 2007.
- Kwon, Y., Chiou, R., Rauniar, S. & Sosa, H., “Web-Enabled Micro Robotic System and its Positioning Characteristics” Journal of Robotics and Computer Integrated Manufacturing, 2007.
- Richard Y. Chiou, Jim S J. Chen, Lin Lu, and Mark T. North, “Finite Element Analysis for Computer Aided Green Design of a Cutting Tool Embedded with a Heat Pipe,” Computers in Education Journal, January – March of 2006.
- Kwon, Y., Chiou, R., Rauniar, S. & Sosa, H., “Positioning Accuracy Characterization of Precision Micro Robot over the Internet,” Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Systems, Vol. 5, No. 5, pp. 45-57, 2006.
- Kwon, Y., Rauniar, S., Chiou, R. & Sosa, H., “Remote Control of Quality Using Ethernet Vision & Web-enabled Robotic System,” Journal of Concurrent Engineering: Research and Applications, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 35-42, 2006.
- S. Y. Liang, Y. K. Kwon, and Richard Y. Chiou, “Modeling the Effect of Flank Wear on Machining Thrust Stability via Frequency Band RMS Method,” International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, pp. 857 – 864, Volume 23, Numbers 11-12, 2004.