Andrew Smith, PhD
Office: 5041 MacAlister Hall
- BA, Philosophy and Political Thought, Muhlenberg College
- MA, Philosophy, Stony Brook University
- PhD, Philosophy, Stony Brook University, 2007
- I’m currently working on my second book, on Daniel Quinn’s philosophy. Quinn is a novelist, cultural critic, and theorist of ecological and social sustainability.
- I’m also working on articles on the merits of the capabilities approach as a conceptual framework for eradicating food deserts, how recent developments in plant neurobiology affect the defense of vegetarianism, and what facing up to ecological catastrophe should entail.
- Recent publications have appeared in Politics, Philosophy & Economics, the Journal of Value Inquiry, Philosophy & Social Criticism, and the International Journal of the Philosophy of Religion.
- I teach environmental philosophy, social and political philosophy, and ethics.