Associate Teaching Professor of English
Office: 109 Language and Communication Center
- MS, Speech Education, Queens College of City University of New York, 1972
- BA, Speech Education, Queens College of City University of New York, 1970
Preparing and inspiring students is my daily goal. As an iTA (international teaching assistant) trainer and Chair of the TA Excellence Sub committee, I have the opportunity to help prepare Drexel’s teaching assistants for their challenging teaching assignments and annually reward those teaching assistants who were nominated for recognition. As an instructor of international students, I use plays and movies and experiential activities to teach tolerance and build bridges of appreciation among people from different backgrounds.
I was nominated for the President's Award for Intercultural Engagement & Diversity. In May of 2008, I received the Barbara Hornum Award for Teaching Excellence.
- Readers' Theater Performance & Discussion: “Better To Light A Single Candle Than to Curse the Darkness, Drexel University, April 8, 2014.
- “Motivating Performers and Audience to Combat Prejudice Through Readers’ Theater- Workshop, TESOL, March 2014.
- Readers’ Theater Motivates Performers to Combat Prejudice, PennTESOL East, November 2014.
- Seminar for LeBow: “Teaching in a Global Classroom”: October 28, 2013.
- Workshop on Presentation & Leadership Skills for Nigerian Faculty, Drexel University, Sept. 2014.
- Workshop on Presentation Skills for Nigerian Faculty, Drexel University, October 9, 2013.
- New Faculty Orientation Presentation on Teaching International Students, September 3, 2013.
- Workshop: “ Teaching Across Cultures, “ May 31, 2013.
- “Faculty Workshop: “ International Students’ Perspectives on Studying at Drexel”, April 10th, 2013.
- “Debating Activities Teach Critical Thinking and Effective Presentation Skills.” TESOL Convention, New Orleans, March 21, 2011.
- “Teaching for Social Responsibility in a Multi-Cultural World.” TESOL Convention, New Orleans, March 21, 2011.
- Debating: From the Beginning. PennTESOL East Presentation: Philadelphia, PA. November, 2009.
- Culture Clashes in the Classroom : What's a Teacher to do, PTE, November 7, 2009.
- “Drama Based Approaches to developing spoken language proficient for Iraqi Teachers. April 3,2009.
- Pre-Convention Workshop: Readers’ Theater: From A-Z. Pre-convention institute at TESOL Convention, Denver, Colorado, March 24, 2009.)
- “Same Sex Marriage Should Be an American, Not A State Policy.” Main Line times, June 23, 2013.
- “Time to Grieve For all We Have Lost in America” Mainline Times, May 5, 2013.
- “Time To Grieve for Our Losses,” The Triangle, April 26, 2013.
- “English Language Center Celebrates Diversity” – Triangle, January 15, 2010.
- “Readers’ Theater: Turbo-Charged Language Acquisition.” Explains the benefits and approaches to using reader’s theater in the classroom... Co-authored for a TESOL
- Authenticity in the Adult Language Classroom, Winter 2009.
- “Media Spotlight Can Make a Huge Political Difference,” Philadelphia Daily News
- “ Welcome to the Drama Club! “ESL Magazine, October, 2009.
- The Magic of Drama: An Oral Performance Activity Book A teacher’s reproducible resource book of drama-based activities for a variety of plays and movies. Full Blast Productions, January 2000.
- The Barron Family Presents A children’s audio-cassette series of dramas and games designed to improve listening skills and encourage discussion on topics concerning children. Education and Entertainment, Inc., 1991.
- Teaching Matters: Skills and Strategies for International Teaching Assistants A textbook to prepare international teaching assistants for teaching at an American university. Authored with Gregory Barnes and Tere Pica.Harper Row, 1990.
- Let’s Laugh Together A listening comprehension text and tape set focusing on American humor. Authored with Gregory Barnes. Macmillan, 1988.
- Tune-In-Tonight A listening comprehension text and tape set based on ABC’s news broadcasts. Newbury House, 1985.