Kenneth S. Sands II, Ph.D.
Ph.D., Environmental Design and Planning, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA
M.Sc., Construction Management, Florida International University, Miami, FL
B.Sc., Construction Management, Florida International University, Miami, FL
A.A., Civil Engineering Technology, College of the Bahamas, Nassau, Bahamas
Areas of Expertise:
- Workforce Development and Lifelong Learning
- Ethics and Construction Education
- Transformative Safety Leadership for Construction Education
- Sustainable Facilities and Infrastructure
- Sustainable building technologies for underdeveloped & least developed countries
- Ethics for the built environment
- Corporate social responsibility in the construction industry
- Underrepresented groups in the construction industry
- University of the District of Columbia, Workforce Development and Lifelong Learning Program-Construction Academy
- Myers-Lawson School of Construction, Virginia Tech
- Louminel General Contractors
- Grace & Naeem Uddin, Inc.
- Johnson, N.J., Sands, K.S., Fiori, C.M., and Pearce, A.R. (2014). “Building the right way: The need and importance of an ethicist in construction engineering.” In proceedings of the 2014 Engineering Leaders Conference being held on November 9-11, Doha, Qatar.
- Sands, K.S. and Pearce, A. (2013). “Fostering green innovations in future practitioners.” Proc., Mascaro Engineering Sustainability Conference, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Sands, K.S. and Pearce, A. (2014). “Toward a framework for construction ethics education; A meta-framework of construction ethics education.” Proc., 2014 Construction Research Congress, Atlanta, GA, 379-388.
- Sands, K.S. and Simmons, D. (2014). “Utilizing think-aloud protocols to assess the usability of a test for ethical sensitivity in construction.” Proc., American Society of Engineering Education. Indianapolis, IN.
- Zhao, D., Sands, K.S., Wang, Z., and Ye, Y. (2013). "Building information modeling-enhanced team-based learning in construction education." Proc., Information Technology Based Higher Education and Training (ITHET), 2013 International Conference, IEEE, Antalya, Turkey, 1-5.
- Sands, K.S. (2014). “Switzerland’s response to ‘our common future’: Swiss sustainability and higher education” Global Perspectives Program Manual, 4(1), 84-89.