For a better experience, click the Compatibility Mode icon above to turn off Compatibility Mode, which is only for viewing older websites.



How can my advisor help me?

Your advisor will help you as you make the transition from high school to college life through academic goal setting and planning (BS/MS, minors, dual degrees, etc.), course selection, connecting you with support services, evaluating AP/transfer credits, and clarifying Drexel policies and procedures.

What if I’m not sure which Engineering major to choose? Can I wait to declare it?

All Engineering majors with the exception of Construction Management, Property Management, and Engineering Technology take the same classes during the freshman year.  If you are not sure whether you want Architectural, Civil, Environmental, Chemical, Electrical, Computer, Materials, or Mechanical Engineering, you should select Still-Deciding Engineering as your major for your first year. You have until the end of your freshman year to decide among these options as they share a common first year curriculum.

What’s the difference between the Bachelor of Science in Engineering and Still Deciding Engineering?

The Bachelor of Science in Engineering is a pre-professional program designed for students who intend to go on to get an MBA, go to medical school or law school. Still Deciding Engineering is for students who want to do a traditional, accredited engineering major but haven't decided which major yet.

What’s the difference between the 4-year and 5-year program?

The 4-year program requires only one Cooperative Learning Experience (or Co-op cycle) and the 5-year requires three Co-op cycles. The academic programs are identical.

Which co-op option do most Engineering students choose and why?

Most engineering students choose the 5-year program so they can graduate with 18 months of work experience. The 5-year program will also allow you to pursue the BS/MS program if you would like to do so.

I’ve heard of the BS/MS program. Can I really get both degrees in five years?

Yes, the BS/MS program is designed for students to earn both their bachelor’s and master’s degrees within a 5-year program. Regardless of pre-acceptance, all students must apply between 90-120 credits and meet their Engineering department requirements.

Can I have a double major?

Yes, we offer two pairs of majors that you can easily finish by your expected graduation date: Civil and Architectural Engineering, and Electrical and Computer Engineering. Combining other majors may take longer than your 4- or 5-year co-op program, so check with your advisor for more information.

How do I change my major before I start at Drexel?

If you’d like to change your Engineering major before you begin, you can send an email to the Undergraduate Admissions office and the Admissions Office will evaluate your application to see if you are eligible for the desired change to your academic record. You can also change your co-op program from the 4-year program to the 5-year program or the reverse by emailing

Will I get to make my own schedule?

Your fall academic schedule will be made for you based on your placement test scores, AP scores, and transfer credits. You will be able to make your own class schedule for the winter term and beyond.

I’ve taken AP classes, how might that affect my college schedule?

Based on the AP exams that you’ve taken and the scores that you received, your results may directly affect your course schedule. Your advisor will create the schedule that best meets your academic needs.

I was in a dual enrollment program or have taken college credits. Will those credits transfer to Drexel?

Yes, if you earn a “C” or better in a college level course, including those from dual enrollment programs, your credits are eligible to transfer into Drexel University. Please send your official transcripts to the College of Engineering Undergraduate Advising Center so we can evaluate them and let you know if you qualify for college credit.

When can I declare a minor?

Students are eligible to declare a minor once they have 30 earned credits here at Drexel.

How many credits does the average Engineering freshman take each quarter?

The average engineering student takes an 16-19 credits, or about seven classes per quarter during their first year. Please see the University Catalog for more detailed information.

What’s the difference between a quarter and a semester?

Drexel operates on a quarter term system, which means students are in classes for 10 weeks at a time, unlike most schools, which have 15-week semesters. These 10-week quarters mean a fast-paced, challenging, and engaging experience here at Drexel!

When can I start taking electives?

You may have room in your schedule to take electives in the fall term if you’ve received AP or transfer credit for some of your core courses. However, it is not recommended that freshman take more than 15-17 credits in their first term while they are transitioning to college, so electives may have to wait. Please see the University Catalog for more detailed information about your academic plan.

Do you know anything about my roommate?

Unfortunately, the UAC is not involved with the roommate process. The Housing Office will send you your roommate information as soon as it becomes available.

Am I required to have a computer and, if so, what kind?

Yes! Lap tops are preferred so that you can use them in labs. You can have a PC or Mac, it doesn’t matter, however you may need to run some Windows-based applications on your Mac, therefore you will need a program such as Parallels to accommodate such assignments.

Can I study abroad and still do co-ops?

Drexel offers several study + co-op abroad options (such as CIDH in Costa Rica, UAS7 in Germany, ESCE in France, and Swinburne in Australia). Because of the academic calendar of these programs, it is often necessary for students to re-arrange their co-op and academic cycles in order to complete both aspects of the study + co-op. If you are interested in one of the study + co-op options, it is critical to meet with both a Study Abroad and Co-op Advisor during your freshman year.

How can I take the MATH, PHYS, and/or CHEM prep classes before I begin?

If you are majoring in Property Management, Construction Management, or Engineering Technology, please contact your advisor to discuss whether taking these courses is appropriate.

For all other majors, if you have been contacted about these courses, we strongly encourage you to take them. These courses are offered for free over the summer prior to your arrival at Drexel. Based on your placement exams results, these courses will help you get on track and start in the fall term with the Core Engineering Curriculum. Below is the contact information for each of these courses:

MATH 049/050:
Mr. Jason Aran:

PHYS 050: 
Dr. Som Tyagi:

CHEM 050:
Dr. Dan King:

Have more questions?

Contact the Undergraduate Advising Center at or 215-895-2211 and we’d be happy to answer them for you!