The College of Engineering Appoints Interim Department Head of Mechanical Engineering and Mechanics
July 6, 2011 — The College of Engineering is pleased to announce that Dr. Paul Oh has been appointed Interim Head of the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Mechanics. MEM is the largest department in the College of Engineering and one that has a diverse range of technical specialties.
Paul received his BS in Mechanical Engineering (Honors, minor in Applied Mathematics) from McGill University, his MS in Mechanical Design and Production Engineering (Korean Government Fellow) from Seoul National University and his PhD from Columbia University.
He has more than five-years accumulated industrial experience at a variety of companies: CAE Electronics (Flight Simulators), Bell Atlantic Science and Technology Lab (Communication networks), Oerlikon Aerospace (ground attack vehicles), Hyundai Heavy Industries (automobile manufacturing) and the Central International Law Firm (patent law). He has also served as an adjunct professor at Columbia University.
He currently serves as the MEM Associate Department Head for Research, Development and Outreach.
Paul has received numerous awards during his career. A sampling of these is below.
- Fellow of the following organizations: NASA JPL, ONR, NRL and Boeing Welliver
- 2004 recipient of the NSF CAREER award
- 2004 recipient of the SAE Ralph Teetor Award for Excellence in Engineering Education
- Recipient of the Drexel College of Engineering Teaching Excellence Award
- Named the National Science Board Distinguished Lecturer - invited as one of three PIs in NSF's entire PI portfolio, to speak to the NSB (which oversees NSF)
- Elected ASME Fellow in 2011
Paul has been engaged in the following service and professional society activities.
- Founder and Emeritus Chair: IEEE Technical Committee on Unmanned Aerial Vehicles
- 10+ years as ASME Faculty Advisor (Drexel is 7th largest student chapter in the world, 5th in the US)
- 2008-2010: NSF Program Director for Robotics in Computer and Information Sciences and Engineering (CISE) Directorate
- Editorships: Springer-Verlag Journal of Intelligent Robotics and Journal of Service Robotics
- 2012 IEEE Program Chair for International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA): Academic community's premiere conference
- Program Chair or General Chair for Unmanned Aerial Vehicle conference and IEEE Humanoids Conference
Paul has more than 90 published and refereed publications (journals and archival conference articles), including three Best Papers and/or Presentation awards. He has been the editor for two books (Springer-Verlag) on Unmanned Aerial Vehicles. He has graduated 4 PhD and 7 MSc students to date.
Paul is the founder and director of the Drexel Autonomous Systems Lab (currently with 6 PhD students and 12 BS and/or MSc researchers). He has brought in more than $4M in research grants and he is serving as the advisor to the recent $6M NSF MRI award for Drexel team on Humanoids.
Paul was born in Philadelphia, and coincidentally, at Hahnemann University Hospital, now Drexel College of Medicine.
Paul will succeed Dr. Surya Kaladindi who did an excellent job as department head and oversaw the largest growth spurt of the department in history. Dr. Kaladindi has requested to return to the faculty where he will be developing several very large proposals.
Please join me in wishing Dr. Kaladindi well in his new endeavors and Dr. Oh success in his new assignment.
Recommend this story