The Department of State requires that a J-1 Exchange Visitor have sufficient proficiency in the English language, as determined by an objective measurement of English language proficiency, to participate in his or her program.
J-1 Exchange Visitors coming to Drexel are asked to submit a TOEFL IELTS score. Passing test scores for TOEFL is the minimum combined score of 79. Passing test scores for IELTS is a combined minimum score of 6.5.
J-1 Scholar candidates may request an assessment from the English Language Center if unable to submit a TOEFL or IELTS score.
Drexel English Language Center Oral Proficiency Interview
This 30 minute interview is conducted by telephone or Skype with a qualified English as a Second Language professional. It is designed to cover topics of daily life, professional experience, general experiences such as travel, education and opinions about familiar topics in the news.
The interview is arranged with the candidate after registration and payment.
Assessment Registration Process
To ensure there is enough time to complete the immigration document process through the Drexel International Students and Scholars Service, candidates should begin the process at least 2 months before the visa appointment.
J-1 Scholar Sponsor
Below are instructions for candidate sponsors:
- Complete this form with information about the scholar candidate.
- Send this link with the assessment registration instructions to the candidate.
- After the candidate completes the exam, the ELC sends the J-1 Scholar form with results to the sponsor.
- Complete the J-1 Scholar form and send directly to ISSS.
J-1 Scholars who have received an invitation from a Drexel department
- Submit a TOEFL or IELTS score to ISSS or register for an oral interview.
- A test time will be scheduled within two weeks after payment is received.
- Results will be sent directly to the Drexel scholar sponsor.
For all questions about the I-20 process, contact your sponsoring department.