Academic Policies

Student Status Requirements

Non matriculated status

Graduate students accepted as non-matriculated because they lack complete required admissions credentials are given the opportunity to remain in this temporary status until the completion of 12 credits while the required credentials are obtained. Students who wish to achieve a graduate degree must matriculate into a degree granting program as soon as possible, but no later than the completion of 12 credits. To accomplish this, all missing credentials (official transcripts, recommendations, etc.) must be sent to the Graduate admissions office for review. Non-matriculated students who do not wish to receive a degree are welcome to remain in this non-degree status indefinitely. Please be advised, however, that degrees are not conferred from this status. Furthermore, should non-matriculated students later desire to apply for full matriculation, only courses which are included in a departmental degree program, up to 15 credits, may be transferable. 

Provisional Student Status

Masters students may be admitted on a provisional basis when the department feels that they show potential for success, but their undergraduate or previous graduate work does not meet regular admissions requirements or when the student does not have sufficient background in the chosen field. The provisional classification allows students to prove their ability by taking up to 12 credits of courses within their discipline or those chosen for the student by their departmental graduate advisor. If the student meets all requirements and attains a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 at the time of the completion of 12 credits, he/she is transferred into matriculated status by the Office of Graduate Studies (OGS). Inability to complete these requirements may result in dismissal from the graduate program.

Credit Duplication

No graduate course used for an undergraduate degree may be counted again for graduate credit.

Adding/Dropping/Withdrawal of Classes

A student may add or drop a course without signature or penalty via DrexelOne from the time web registration opens until the last day of the second week of classes. After that time frame, no student is permitted to add a class and a “Drop” becomes a “Withdrawal” which will be documented on the student’s transcript. If a student is unable to add or drop due to a certain restriction within that time frame, the student must submit an Add/Drop/Withdraw form to the department following guidelines for adding/dropping classes as noted on the Student Resource Center and Provost’s websites.

Refunds and credit for a drop/withdrawal depend on the date of the drop and the University Refund Policy.

Closed Course Sections

Permission to be enrolled in the course must be granted by the instructor of the course as well as the administration of the Engineering Management Program in writing. Not all such requests will be granted.

Audit Grading Option 

Graduate students may audit a course when they wish to receive instruction in a particular area but do now wish to receive a grade or credit. This option is only available to graduate students and may be added up to the last day of classes and before the final.

Registration – Active/Inactive Status and Reactivation

Registration is the process of enrolling for courses and satisfying financial obligations.

Active/Inactive Status

Graduate students are considered “Active” for the terms in which they are registered. They are considered “Inactive” when not registered for any term. Summer is excepted from this rule for all student classifications other than Ph.D. Candidates. Non-matriculated, provisional, post-baccalaureate, masters and post-masters students may be “Inactive” as their needs require. Please remember, however, that when contemplating “Inactive” status (not registering for a term or terms), time to completion requirements must be considered. The time to completion clock continues to run for “Inactive” students. If considering “Inactive” status, please notify the department of your plan. Also be aware that being “Inactive” for two consecutive terms may trigger a request for repayment of student loans. Students classified as Ph.D. candidates must remain on “Active” status (register for credits) each term until graduation.

Reactivation after Inactive status

Students who wish to register after being “Inactive” should contact the SRC (if less than one year on inactive status) or the department (if over one year on inactive status). Please be aware that to be reactivated, students must be in good academic and financial standing.

Time Requirements for Program Completion

Time requirements are placed on graduate programs of study to ensure that students receive instruction in, and graduate with, the most up-to-date, current knowledge available in their discipline. It is expected that all graduate students will be able to complete their degrees within the stated time requirements.
University policy provides that students who enter graduate study at the masters or post-baccalaureate level must complete their studies for the graduate degree(s) within seven (7) years after initial graduate registration. Those who enter at the post-masters level are permitted five (5) ears after initial registration to complete the Ph.D. degree.

In unusual circumstances, students who find that these time requirements are inadequate due to special circumstances must discuss this with their advisor. Together they may request an extension prior to the end of the student’s stated time limit. Students requesting an extension should work with their advisor to develop a plan of study and a timeline for completion that is reasonable for the student. All formal extension requests must give a reasonable time of completion with accompanying revised plan of study. Should an extension be required, please be aware that all courses will be reviewed for timeliness; some earlier coursework may need to be repeated.  Extension requests for master’s students must be forwarded to the departmental graduate advisor who will make the final decision.

Withdrawal from the University

Graduate students who may find it necessary to withdraw from the University should seek advisement from their departmental graduate advisor and their research supervisor as appropriate. Those whose circumstances require withdrawal should complete a “course drop” form for all registered courses in the appropriate term and write a letter of withdrawal to the Office of Graduate Studies.  Refunds of tuition and fees are processed by the Student Receivables section of the Comptroller’s Office in accordance with the University’s official tuition refund policy.

Tuition and General Fee Refunds/Credits Policy

As adopted by the University trustees, the following policy governs all refunds and credits. Billing statements for graduate tuition and the General Fee are issued monthly (full or part-time). In computing a refund for a student who withdraws during any given term, the value assigned to the term in which the withdrawal occurs is equal to the amount of all tuition and General Fee charges for that term. The effective date of withdrawal shall be the date of processing for an “Add/Drop” form or the date of receipt of a request for withdrawal. 

The refund amount determined for the payment period is based on the date of withdrawal or other administrative action. The refund schedule identifies the percentage of refund due as the date of separation:

 Up until the End of Week 2             100%
 Mon-Sunday of Week 3             50%
 Monday of Week 4-Sunday of Week 5             25%
 Monday of Week 6-end of term             0%

If a student’s tuition and fees were paid in whole or in part by financial aid, the refund amount must be allocated to satisfy the requirements for refund of financial aid. Federal aid or Title IV Programs include Federal Stafford Loans.

Federal Stafford Student Loan amounts received for a payment period in which the student withdrew must be returned to the lending institution within 60 days of the withdrawal date.

Financial holds are assumed to occur at the end of the term, and that date is the date of student separation.
The Department of Education has issued regulations regarding the refund and credit calculation for all students attending an institution for the first time. After a student’s first term at Drexel, the standard refund and credit schedules apply.

All questions regarding this policy should be directed to the Student Receivables department of the Comptrollers Office.

A tuition credit may be applied to the tuition charge of a subsequent term up to one year after the term in which the credit was granted. Use of the tuition credit may be extended for an additional year upon written request from the student. Tuition credits are not transferable to another student.

A student who drops all of his/her courses for tuition credit and does not enroll in the next term will be considered withdrawn effective the date of dropping the courses. If a student requests conversion of a tuition credit into a refund, the refund policy will govern the amount due the student.

Grades/Grading System

Auditing Grading Option

A graduate student chooses to audit a course when they wish to receive instruction in a particular area but do not wish to receive a grade or credit. It is available only to graduate students and may be added up to the last day of classes and before the final. Tuition is charged the same as if the student were taking the course for credit.

Grades – End of term

All grades are due in Student Banner no later than Wednesday at 12noon, following the last day of Final Exams. Where no exam is given, grades are due 72 hours after the last official scheduled meeting time for the course. Student grades are made available via DrexelOne.

Grades below “C”

If a grade below “C” is earned, the student must re-take the course for graduate credit. Students must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 while on program, no exceptions.

Grade Changes – Statute of Limitations

Grades appearing on a student’s academic record may not be changed after one calendar year from the end of the term in which the grade was received. Final grades appearing on a student’s academic transcript cannot be changed after the graduation date.

Exceptions due to extenuating circumstances require approval of the academic dean of the department offering the course and the Associate Provost for Research and Graduate Studies. Changes requested to correct administrative errors require the approval of the Director of Student Information and Records.

Grade not Reported (“NGR” Notation)

An instructor who fails to report a grade for a student will cause an automatic notation of “NGR” to be recorded. This is not a grade, but a temporary indicator that requires prompt resolution leading either to the removal of the course from the student’s record or to the assignment of a grade. If a final grade is not reported by the end of the next calendar term, an administrative grade of “F” will be reported for the student and recorded on the student’s transcript. A “NGR” notation left unresolved at the end of one calendar year from the term in which it was placed will be an “F”. It will be calculated as a failure in the student’s GPA and is considered a permanent grade. Students are urged to check their record provided to them each term and follow up when required.

Grades appearing on a student’s academic transcript cannot be changed after the graduation date. Exceptions due to extenuating circumstances require approval of the academic dean of the department offering the course and the Associate Provost for Research and Graduate Studies. Changes requested to correct administrative errors require the approval of the Director of Student Information and Records.

Grade Point Average

Grade point average is based upon the grade weighted by the credit hours for all courses taken at Drexel University while in graduate student classification; whether graduate or undergraduate, and whether part of a degree program or not. Only grades of C and above are acceptable in fulfilling graduate studies requirements in any plan of study.

The letter grades are given for individual courses, and the grade points are used to compute grade point averages for each student at the end of each term, on both a term and cumulate basis.

In Progress Grading

In the case of thesis work or a special list of sequential courses, a grade of “INP” (in progress) will be recorded on the student’s transcript until SRC is notified that the coursework is complete. A letter grade of “CR” (for credit) indicates completion of the coursework. When a letter grade is assigned, it will be included as the grade for all courses in the sequence; that means that the previous grade of “In Progress” will be replaced with a letter grade and the grade point average will be recalculated. If a grade of CR is awarded, no recalculation will take place.

Incomplete Grade Contract

At the discretion of an instructor, the grade of incomplete may be reported in place of a grade for any course in which the instructor deems that the work has not been completed. Effective for courses taken during or after Fall 1994/1995, graduate and undergraduate courses who are unable to complete part of the regularly assigned course work for a class and who wish to receive the grade of “I” (Incomplete) until such time as all unfinished work is completed must complete the “Incomplete Grade Contract.” The agreement is to be made only if there is a reasonable possibility that the student can complete the work within an agreed upon time limit, which must be in accordance with the University Policy and the statute of limitations governing grade changes (see section on “Statute of Limitations”) and when a passing grade will result from the completion of the work. The grade of “I” is assigned only after the Incomplete Grade Contract has been completed and signed by both the Instructor and the student and submitted to SAS by the due date for submission of grade for the term. If the agreements made in the contract are not met or if the “I” grade is not cleared in the time specified in the contract, the grade automatically becomes an “I/F” which is calculated as a failure in the student’s GPA and is considered a permanent grade. Students are not required to complete an Incomplete Grade Contract for thesis, research or dissertation or for courses with an “INP” grading option. Unexcused absence from a final examination, absence from classes or retaking examinations, etc., in order to improve a grade do not qualify as reasons for granting an “I” grade. The “Incomplete Grade Contract” is available from SRC or in each department’s and Dean’s office to instructors only.

Second Masters Degree Policy

Students with a previously completed master’s degree from Drexel University may pursue a second master’s degree in the Engineering Management Program without the need to go through the admissions process again. Because the student has already completed a master’s degree at Drexel, he/she may transfer up to 15 credits from the first into the Engineering Management masters degree program, depending upon departmental requirements in the Engineering Management Program, and may therefore complete the Engineering Management Program with a minimum of 30 new graduate credits. Readmission into the Engineering Management Program is requested through the Director of the Engineering Management Program, with final approval by the Graduate Studies Office.

Second Masters Degree for Students Who Have an MBA from Drexel Students with an MBA from Drexel University may pursue an M.S. in Engineering Management by completing 33 new credits constituted by six core courses (18 credits) and five elective courses (15 credits). The courses that students must complete to earn a second masters degree in Engineering Management are: EGMT 501 Engineering Management I, EGMT 502 Engineering Management II, EGMT 531 Economics for Engineering Management, EGMT 537 Problems in Engineering Administration, EGMT 573 Operations Research I, EGMT 574 Operations Research II, and 5 elective courses.

Dual Masters Degree Policy

Graduate students already enrolled in a master’s degree program at Drexel have the opportunity through the dual masters degree program, to work simultaneously on and to receive two masters’ degrees upon graduation. To be eligible, graduate students must be currently working on their first degree when requesting admission to the second. They must obtain approval from the graduate advisors of both programs and work out a plan of study encompassing coursework and/or research (thesis) credits for both degrees. Students may transfer as many as 15 credits from one program to the other, usually in the form of electives, and are therefore required to complete a minimum of 63 graduate credits in order to complete a dual masters degree program (the actual credit total may be higher, depending on each department’s requirements). Transferability of credits from one program to another will depend on acceptability by the programs.

The dual master’s student must complete the appropriate form, available from the Engineering Management Program office, and obtain approvals from both graduate advisors. The Graduate Studies Office grants final approval. The student is then registered in both majors simultaneously.

Upon graduation, the student must indicate both majors on the application for Degree form filed with the SRC.

Transfer of Credits from Other Institutions

Acceptance of transfer credit from approved institutions is dependent on the pertinence of the work to the MS degree. Approval must be received from the Engineering Management Program in writing in order to transfer credit in towards the completion of the MS degree. All transfer credit to be used toward the completion of the degree must be noted on the plan of study, and the student must provide an official copy of their transcript from the university where they took the credits. Transfer credits are subject to the following restrictions:

  • Transfer graduate credits are limited to the equivalent of 15 quarter credits.
  • All transfer credits must have a grade of B or better, and the students overall average in all prior graduate work must be a minimum of B
  • Transfer graduate credit must have been taken within the general time limit of seven years prior to receipt of the degree.

Students who wish to take a course at an approved institution during their time of study at Drexel to use toward their MS degree must receive prior approval from their graduate advisor. Approval must be obtained via a written request, which includes the course syllabus, course description and any other supplementary information.

Clearance of M.S. Candidate for Graduation

At the beginning of the expected quarter of graduation, the M.S. candidate will file an Application for Degree form (obtainable from SRC) with the Student Resource Center. SRC will then provide the student name and ID to the Engineering Management Program. The student’s Drexel transcript will be checked against the Plan of Study for clearance. The Engineering Management Program then informs SRC of the clearance status of the student. The Engineering Management Program Driector clears students for graduation. Requirement for graduation is a GPA of 3.0 or above and 48 quarter credits (not counting EGMT 571, Statistics I) constituted by 11 core courses (33 credits) and 5 elective courses (15 credits).