1892, Anthony J. Drexel, founder of the Drexel Institute of Art,
Science and Industry, purchased art specifically for the Institute,
which he housed on the first floor of the Main Building.
In 1901, upon the death of Mr. Drexel's brother-in-law, John D.
Lankenau, a large collection of European paintings came into the
collection, and the space on the first floor was inadequate to display
It was in 1902 that the Picture Gallery on the third floor
of the Main Building was first used for exhibition of the collection of John D. Lankenau. Since 1914, other paintings and sculpture have been displayed in the Gallery as well.