For a better experience, click the Compatibility Mode icon above to turn off Compatibility Mode, which is only for viewing older websites.

Enrollment and Registration Policies

Enrollment at Drexel University is determined by your admission into a program and your attendance of courses or other official program activities (such as co-op). You are verified as enrolled when a term begins. Your enrollment status at the University is quantified by the amount of credits you're registered for during a term. 

Enrollment Policies

Undergraduate Students

  • Full-time Status – You will be classified as being enrolled full-time if you are registered for 12 or more credits for a term.
  • Part-time Status – You will be classified as being enrolled part-time if you have registered for fewer than 12 credits per term.
  • Less than Half-time Status – You will be classified as less than half-time when you are enrolled for fewer than 4.5 credits for a term.

Saturday Scholars

Enrollment for Saturday Scholars is determined by the combined number of credits registered for in both Part A and Part B of a term. In order for a Saturday Scholar to be considered part-time for the purposes of financial aid eligibility, they must be registered for credits in both Part A and Part B; registration in only one part of the term is not sufficient to meet the minimum part-time status regardless of the number registered credits. 

Graduate Students

  • Full-time Status – You will be classified as being full-time if you’re registered for 9 or more credits for a term.
  • Three-quarter-time Status – You will be classified as being three-quarter-time status if you have registered for 6 to 8.99 credits for a term.
  • Half-time Status – You will be classified as being half-time status if you have registered for 4.5 to 5.99 credits for a term.
  • Less than Half-time Status – You will be classified as being less than half-time status if you have registered for fewer than 4.49 credits for a term.

Medical Students

Medical School students years 1–4 are block registered through the Office of the University Registrar at Queen Lane. For all other programs within the College of Medicine, students register via DrexelOne and in accordance with their assigned time ticket. 

Students Who Fall Below Full-Time Status

Full-time or part-time status is determined at the point of admission. If you are admitted into a full-time program of study, you will be classified as full-time; in the event that the program of study is both a full-time and part-time program of study, your declaration of status will be recorded in the student record.

The assignment of status as full-time or part-time governs much of your student experience in regards to billing, financial aid, participation in the cooperative education program, and the ability to progress your academic program.

  • Full-Time Undergraduates – If you are enrolled as full-time, you will be required to maintain at least 12 credits per quarter.
  • Part-Time Undergraduates – If you are enrolled as part-time, you will be required to carry fewer than 12 credits per quarter.

In the event that a full-time student falls below the 12 credit minimum, he or she will be notified by the advisor at the end of Week 3 of the quarter to discuss the impact of such and confirm status as full-time or change status to part-time for the subsequent quarter. 

Change of Status Due to Withdrawal From Courses

In the event that your schedule changes from full-time to part-time as a consequence of the withdrawal process, you will not need to file a change in curriculum or status form. You will still be considered to be working within the guidelines established by the program of study and official status designation; that is, a full-time student who falls below 12 credits because of a course withdrawal has attempted 12 credits and will maintain his or her status as full-time for program requirements, but will be considered less than full-time for enrollment reporting purposes.

Since you will have completed less than your attempted credits, you will be encouraged to discuss the Satisfactory Academic Progress ramifications with your academic advisor and Drexel Central. There will be no adjustment to your bill for such changes after the close of Week 7 of the quarter.

Change Due to Dropping of Course(s)

If you are a full-time student and you drop a course during the adjustment period, it is expected that you will add courses to maintain a full-time schedule (i.e., at least 12 credits). Throughout the adjustment period, your academic advisor will review your registration status to ensure that the standards of status designation are met. If during the adjustment period you fall below the full-time credit minimum of 12 credits and are not able to meet this standard, your charges will be reassessed automatically and your bill will be adjusted. However, if in the subsequent quarter you are again below 12 credits at the close of the registration period, you will be notified to confirm status with your academic advisor.

Change Due to Addition of Course(s)

If you are a part-time student and you enroll in 12 or more credits during the adjustment period, you will be charged as a full-time student. However, if in the subsequent quarter you again exceed 12 credits or more, you will be asked to confirm status with your academic advisor.

Leave of Absence

A leave of absence may be requested for a current term of enrollment by the end of the add/drop deadline of that term. All leave of absence requests submitted past the end of the add/drop deadline will be processed for the next term of enrollment, if the leave is for more than one term. A leave of absence may be requested for up to four (4) terms of enrollment. Please contact your academic advisor in order to officially request your leave. 

Withdrawing from Drexel

If you’re transferring to another institution of higher education or permanently leaving Drexel for any other reason, you must officially withdrawal from the University. In order to officially withdrawal, you must meet with your academic advisor to start completing the University Withdrawal Form.

During the withdrawal process, you will be counseled by several different administrative offices about the impact of withdrawing. The process is not considered complete until you have met with and received the appropriate signatures on the withdrawal form from all the applicable offices.

Drexel Central will be the final office you will meet with and will discuss the financial implications of your decision to withdrawal. Once your consultation with Drexel Central is complete, your withdrawal will be processed and your student record will become inactivated.

If you decide you would like to return to Drexel at a later date, you will need to apply for readmission.

To withdraw voluntarily from the University, if you're a full-time undergraduate student you must personally report to the college or school in which you’re enrolled to begin the process. In circumstances where in-person withdraw is not feasible, you may initiate withdraw action by writing to your college or school. Verbal or written notice to any university faculty, administrator, or staff person other than the designated person in the college or school is not sufficient for official withdraw or the determining of an effective date of withdraw. It is not possible to withdraw by telephone contact.

When setting the withdraw date, consideration will be given by the college or school for medical issues that may cause delay your filing for withdraw, such as hospitalization or psychological/emotional impairment. Official and appropriate documents will need to be presented.

The effective date of withdraw, which is normally no earlier than the date of initial contact with the college or school, determines the amount of refund and/or credit. The last day to withdraw from the university is the end of the sixth week of the respective term.

All full-time undergraduate students, whether assigned to school or industry, are considered to be active students and, accordingly, are responsible for satisfying all financial obligations accumulated until the time when they officially withdraw as explained above, or the university declares them inactive.

The following are the accepted reasons for withdraw from the University:

  • Academic
  • Career change
  • Financial
  • Medical
  • Transfer
  • Other/personal

Registration Policies

Freshman Scheduling in the Fall Term

All new, incoming freshmen students are provided with a class schedule for the fall quarter, so course registration is not required. Schedules are created by the academic department in conjunction with Drexel Central. Students will be notified by their academic advising office when schedules are available in DrexelOne.

First-Time Freshman Registration

All first-time freshmen will be registered by the University for their first quarter of enrollment and will not receive a time ticket to register. They will also not have access to update their registration through DrexelOne. Questions about registration or requests to update course registration must be handled by the student's academic advisor.

Course Schedule Availability

Course schedules for the upcoming academic year are available starting in the 3rd week of the prior summer term. You can review this course list on the Term Master Schedule.

Senior Year Exception

Students entering senior year must apply for their degree. Full-time senior-level students in their final quarter will be allowed to register below the 12 credit minimum. Even though they will be considered to have full-time status for all academic and institutional purposes, these students will be billed on a per-credit basis and reported to the National Student Clearinghouse as less than full-time for all enrollment reporting purposes.

Students should be aware of the Senior Exception for Financial Aid policy.