Federal Verification Guidelines
The Department of Education requires Drexel to review selected FAFSAs to ensure the accuracy of the information reported. This process is called Federal Verification. If you are selected to be verified, you will be notified via e-mail. Your federal and institutional need-based aid is not considered finalized and will not pay to your account until the process is completed. The Drexel selection criterion is different from the information you may find on your Student Aid Report (SAR).
You are required to submit the documentation requested. If you do not submit the requested documentation by the deadline specified in your notification, your federal and institutional need-based financial aid for the academic year will be canceled.
Any errors or discrepancies identified on your FAFSA during verification will be corrected. Corrections to your FAFSA information may result in changes to your EFC and aid eligibility. You will be notified via e-mail if any changes are made to your FAFSA, EFC and/or aid eligibility.
To assist you with this process, you can refer to the Verification Checklist.
If you are selected for verification, you will need to submit the following documentation:
- Completed Verification Worksheet
- If you successfully used the IRS Data Retrieval Download Tool when filing your FAFSA, you do not need to submit a Tax Return Transcript for verification. If you would like to update your FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool after you have been selected for verification, you may do so at the FAFSA website. This is the preferred method by the Department of Education for updating the FAFSA.
- If you did not use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool:
- An Official IRS Tax Return Transcript of your tax return
- An Official IRS Tax Return Transcript of your parent's tax return
- An Official IRS Tax Return Transcript of your spouse's tax return (if you are married and filed separately)
You can order an official IRS Tax Return Transcript directly from the IRS web site or by calling 1-800-908-9946. We cannot accept or use a photocopy of your actual tax returns or an official IRS Tax Account Transcript for the verification process.