For a better experience, click the Compatibility Mode icon above to turn off Compatibility Mode, which is only for viewing older websites.

Work Study Program

The Federal College Work-Study program at Drexel is designed to help college students who have demonstrated financial need work part-time to earn money for education-related expenses such as books, transportation, and personal expenses.

In order to be considered for work-study funding, you must indicate on your FAFSA that you are interested in participating in the work-study program and demonstrate financial need based upon your Expected Family Contribution. Funding each year for the work-study program is limited.

Work-study funding can only be used during the fiscal year that runs from July 1st until the following June 30th. This means that if you are awarded work-study funding for the 2013-2014 academic year, the earliest you could start to earn your money would be July 1, 2013 and your last day or work would be June 30, 2014.

Work-Study earnings are paid on a bi-weekly basis by the University Payroll Office. You are able to earn up to the amount awarded to you in your financial aid package for the fiscal year.

If you are awarded work-study funding and would like to secure a work-study position, you will need to do the following:

  • Review the list of open work-study positions at the Drexel Human Resources Student Employment website.
  • Follow the instructions listed on the HR website on how to apply for any positions that you are interested in.
  • Wait to hear from campus office for which you applied to confirm that you have been hired.
  • If you have not previously worked at Drexel, complete the New Hire Paperwork and bring it, along with proper identification, to the Human Resources Department, located at 3201 Arch Street.
  • Follow the procedure of the department where you are working to submit your hours for receipt of a paycheck.
  • Monitor your work hours in DrexelOne to ensure you do not exceed your work-study award.

Employer Information

If you are an employer looking to post a new work-study position, you can do so at the Human Resources Work-Study SharePoint website. Instructions for completing the request can be found at the Human Resources web site. Once your posting is approved it will be viewable to students at the Human Resources Student Employment website.

Work-study students are processed using Electronic Personnel Action Forms (EPAFs). You can create the following transactions within DrexelOne:

  • Hire and rehire a student for a work-study position
  • Terminate a work-study student
  • Change department for a work-study student
  • Change the salary of a current work-study student

Visit HRIS for a complete user guide and instructions.

Steps to Hiring a Work-Study Student

  • Schedule and conduct interviews for the position you are hiring for.
  • Once you have selected the student for hire, submit a New Hire or Rehire EPAF via DrexelOne.
  • Refer students who have never worked at Drexel before to complete the New Hire Paperwork and bring it, along with proper identification, to the Human Resources Department, located at 3201 Arch Street, Suite 430. If a student has worked for Drexel in the past but not worked in the last year, he or she will need to submit new hire paperwork. For complete instructions visit the Human Resources Work Study Process website. The student will not receive a paycheck until this paperwork has been processed.
  • Drexel Central will enter the new hires into the Banner Financial Aid System. You may request access to Hyperion reporting which will enable you to monitor the balance of funds remaining in the student's account.
  • Federal Work-Study job funds may be earned from July 1 through June 30 of each academic year. If a student's work-study funds are exhausted during the fiscal year, overages will be charged to your departmental budget. Increases normally are not available.
  • Human Resources Information Services (HRIS) will automatically enter the student into the Banner Human Resources/Payroll System from the data entered by Drexel Central. Students must submit timesheets for payroll processing.
  • When applicable, use the EPAF process in DrexelOne to notify Drexel Central and Human Resources of Department changes, rate changes and termination.