1098-T (Tuition Statement)
Drexel University is required by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to issue the attached Form 1098-T (Tuition Statement) to any student enrolled during the academic terms in a calendar year. For terms in a calendar year, Form 1098-T documents if your enrollment status is at least half-time, and whether you were enrolled as a graduate student during the reporting period. The form also shows the amounts billed for qualified tuition expenses, and any scholarships or grants received between January 1 and December 31. Additionally, the form includes calendar year adjustments to charges, scholarships and grants for prior years.
The Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997 included two tax credits that may be available to persons who pay higher education costs: The Hope Credit and The Lifetime Learning Credit.
Drexel University cannot determine if you are eligible for either of these credits or the amount of the credit for which you may qualify. Please consult your tax advisor or IRS Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Education, for more information.
To determine the amounts of tuition and fees paid during the calendar year, please consult your records or go to your Banner Web account via Drexel One.
Instructions for the 2012 and 2013 Tax Year
You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader 8X or higher to view your 2012 1098T. Please also allow pop ups from the eBill suite to allow the PDF to load
- Log in to Drexel One
- Click the "Student" tab
- In the "Billing and Financial Aid" channel click the "Review eBill" link
- Click the "eBill" tab
- Scroll to the center of the page for the 1098-T Tax Statement section
- Click "View"
Internet Explorer is the recommended browser to use when viewing your 1098-T online. Using another browser may result in issues with viewing your 1098-T. Below are instructions for using other browsers to view your 1098-T.
If viewing with Firefox:
- When the 1098-T window opens, you will see an error message in the top navigation that will state "This PDF document might not be displayed correctly".
- Next to the error message, click the "Open With Different Viewer" button
- Select Adobe Reader option
- Your 1098-T should now properly display
If viewing with Google Chrome:
- When the 1098-T window opens, you will need to select the "Save" button in the lower right portion of the window.
- Save your 1098-T as a PDF to your desktop
- Once your document is saved, you will be able to open it from your desktop and view it correctly.
Instructions for Granting an Authorized User Access to Your 1098-T
You have the ability to grant an authorized user access to your 1098-T, by using the following instructions:
- Log into Drexel One
- Select the "Student" tab
- Under the "Billing and Financial Aid" channel select the "Review eBill" link
- Click the "Authorized Users" box in the upper tab
- Click "Add Authorized Users"
- Input the e-mail address of the authorized user - please use all lowercase letters as the system is case sensitive
- Select "1098-T" as the access you would like to grant
- Click the "Add User" button
- Please read the agreement. To authorize, you must enter the last four digits of your student identification number in the box
- Click the "I Agree" button
- Two e-mails will be sent to the authorized user. One will include a link to the authorized user website and the e-mail address you have authorized; the second will include the authorized user's temporary password. The first time the authorized user logs in, they will be prompted to select a new password.
Accessing your 1098-T for Prior Years
2008 - 2011 Tax Years
Students can access the 1098-T forms online by going to the login page at www.ecsi.net/myacct.
The students will need to have the following information:
School Code = 7D
Account = DREXEL ID#
Password = pin number assigned by ECSI.
The student’s PIN number is noted on the original mailing of the 1098-T. The student can also obtain their PIN by contacting ECSI on the ECSI 1098-T hotline number at (866) 428-1098.
Additional information on the IRS 1098T form explanation can be obtained at ECSI via this web link http://www.ecsi.net/taxinfo.html
Tax Years Prior to 2008
If you require a copy of a 1098-T Statement for a tax year prior to 2008, please contact Drexel Central via Ask Drexel.