Faculty Learning Communities
What are Faculty Learning Communities?
“The primary goal of a faculty learning community (FLC) is to explore a specific topic area or theme as it relates to best practices in teaching and learning. The learning community provides a safe, supportive community wherein members can engage in activities including research, the scholarship of teaching and learning and service to explore new approaches to teaching.”
Indiana University Bloomington Center for Innovative Teaching and Learning
For further information on faculty learning communities, including application/acceptance procedures, please contact us via e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by telephone at 215-895-4973.
Please note the submission window for FLC proposals for the 2014-2015 academic year has now closed. Thank you to all the applicants. A blind review is currently taking place and all applicants will receive a decision by the committee on July 18th.
If you are interested in applying to be a participant in an FLC, please note the application window will not be open until the end of August. More details will be posted throughout the summer.
Faculty Learning Community Proposals for 2014-2015
The DCAE is currently seeking faculty who are interested in facilitating or co-facilitating a faculty learning community on a topic related to teaching and learning. If you are interested, please note the following expectations of the job of facilitator:
1. Review all participant applications for his or her respective learning community and work with other facilitators to select participants.
2. Coordinate all groups meetings (approximately every 3 weeks during Fall, Winter and Spring quarters) and communicate with the participants.
3. Work with participants to set a meeting agenda.
4. Network with other Drexel faculty and staff who hold expertise in your topic.
5. Provide quarterly updates to the DCAE and communicate any questions or concerns in a timely fashion.
A small stipend will be made available to all facilitators at the end of the academic year.
Please review the following criteria and procedures prior to submission:
1. A Faculty Learning Community can be led by either one or two facilitators. If you are submitting an application with co-facilitation, please note that one of the two facilitators must be a full time faculty member (either teaching or tenure tack).
2. The review committee will not accept incomplete applications – please make sure all questions are answered.
3. Please provide clear and tangible answers when discussing the goals, objectives and benefits of this FLC. Be sure to include direct connections to the Drexel Strategic Plan, University Mission and/or Drexel Student Learning Priorities.
4. Once all of the applications are received, they will be subject to a blind review by a committee of faculty members. All applications will receive one of the following three responses: Accept, Accept with Revision, Reject. If an application requires revisions, the facilitators will have one week to address the comments by the committee.