Information on Graduating
Students Who Were Awarded Degrees in the Preceding Summer, Fall or Winter Terms
- Students who completed their degree requirements and received diplomas in the summer '12, fall '12 or winter '13 terms are eligible to take part in Commencement
- If you graduated in a previous term, you should not file an Application for Degree form through DrexelOne or a Walkthrough form.
Application for Degree Form
- If you are planning to receive a degree in the spring term, you must have filed an Application for Degree form with the Office of the University Registrar. The deadline for submitting this form via DrexelOne is May 16. If you have not filed this form, please do so immediately, as this is what enables you to be a degree candidate and initiates the ordering of your diploma.
- If you did not meet the deadline, your name will not appear in the Commencement program.
- All grades are due by Wednesday, June 19 at noon. There is no early grade submission for degree candidates.
- Degree clearing will take place June 20-July 5.
- A representative from each academic department will coordinate graduation clearing for that department's students with a member of the University Registrar staff. A complete listing of all clearing representatives can be found on the Student Resource Center website.
- If you have questions, please visit AskDrexel.
- The ability to participate in Commencement activities, or "walk through," is available to students who will not have met their degree requirements by the end of spring term and are not degree candidates for spring term. An application to participate in Commencement activities is available via the SRC website. After your advisor has signed your form, it should be returned to the SRC.
- "Walkthrough" students will not receive a diploma until the term in which all requirements are met and they are officially cleared for graduation.
- Their names will not appear in this year's Commencement program.
- Walkthrough students are not considered degree candidates and therefore are not exempt from final exams in the spring
- To be eligible for walkthrough status, the following must apply:
- You are a full-time student, within 20 credits of completing requirements, and you will complete your remaining credits by the end of the summer or fall term following Commencement.
- You are a part-time student, within 12 credits of completing requirements, and you will complete your remaining credits by the end of the summer or fall term following Commencement.
- You are completing a thesis or dissertation, you have defended your work (Ph.D. candidates must submit their D-7s to the Office of Graduate Studies by June 2) and are within two weeks of forwarding the completed dissertation copy to Hagerty Library.
- You do not have a thesis requirement, you are within six credits of completing your degree requirements at the end of the spring term and will complete all the assignments by the end of the summer term following Commencement.
- A minimum cumulative grade point average (G.P.A.) of 2.0
- Completion of all required courses
- Completion of required Drexel Co-op Units (for Co-op students only)
- No outstanding/incomplete grades (includes grades that were not reported [NGR], In-Progress [INP], or Incomplete [INC]). All outstanding grades must be submitted and applied to the academic record before the end of a term in order for the student to be considered a graduate for that term:
||End of Term Date
||December 15, 2012
||March 23, 2013
||June 15, 2013
||September 7, 2013
- Senior Privilege affords a student a one-time opportunity to make up a failing grade in a required course by taking an additional final examination.
- Please refer to the Senior Privilege policy online.
- Senior Privilege does not exempt students from attending class or taking final exams in courses for which they are enrolled during the last term of their senior year.
- Senior Privilege forms can be obtained via the SRC website.
- A minimum cumulative grade point average (G.P.A.) of 3.0
- Completion of all required courses
- No outstanding/incomplete grades (includes grades that were not reported [NGR], In-Progress [INP], or Incomplete [INC]). All outstanding grades must be submitted and applied to the academic record before the end of a term in order for the student to be considered a graduate for that term.
- If you are in a master's degree program that requires a thesis to be submitted to the Hagerty Library, you must complete thesis formatting prior to library submission. Information about thesis formatting can be found on the Drexel Libraries website.
For Doctoral Degree Students
- If you anticipate graduating this spring, you must file an application for your degree by May 6 via DrexelOne. Without this application, the Graduate Studies Office and University Registrar cannot clear you for graduation.
- To participate in your Commencement ceremony and to be listed in Commencement Publications, you must defend your thesis and file form D-5 – Report of the Final Oral Defense Committee – with the Graduate Studies Office by Friday, May 31 at 3 p.m.
- To become a spring graduate, your completion form and dissertation have to be filed with the Hagerty Library and the Graduate Studies Office by Friday, June 28.
- If you have any questions about the graduation process, please call the Graduate Studies Office at 215-895-0366.