Andrew Smith, PhD
Department of English and Philosophy
Center for Science, Technology and Society
- BA, Philosophy and Political Thought, Muhlenberg College
- MA, Philosophy, Stony Brook University
- PhD, Philosophy, Stony Brook University, 2007
Social and Political Philosophy, Ethics, American Philosophy
- I’ve authored two books, The Deliberative Impulse (Lexington Books, 2011) and A Critique of the Moral Defense of Vegetarianism (Palgrave Macmillan, 2016).
- I’m currently working on my third book, on Daniel Quinn’s philosophy. Quinn is a novelist, cultural critic, and theorist of ecological and social sustainability.
- I’m also working on articles in which I assess what facing up to ecological catastrophe should entail and the ethical bases for resisting the main protagonists of ecocide.
- Recent publications have appeared in the Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, Politics, Philosophy & Economics, the Journal of Value Inquiry, Philosophy & Social Criticism, and the International Journal of the Philosophy of Religion.