Barbara Hoekje, PhD
Department of Communication
- PhD, Linguistics, University of Pennsylvania, 1989
- Sociolinguistic approaches to second language teaching, testing, and assessment
- English for specific purposes (academic and medical purposes)
- International teaching assistants and international medical graduates (IMGs)
- English language program administration
Barbara Hoekje is an associate professor in the Department of Communication. Her research interests are in sociolinguistic approaches to second language testing, academic spoken discourse, and issues related to international teaching assistants, international medical graduates, and language program administration.
- Hoekje, B. International medical graduates in U.S. higher education: An overview of issues for ESP. In Hoekje, B. & Tipton, S. (Eds.) English language and the medical profession: Instructing and assessing the communication skills of international physicians. Bingley, UK: Emerald, 2010.
- Pennington, M. & Hoekje, B. Language program as ecology: A perspective for leadership. RELC Journal 41 (3), 213-228, 2010.
- Pennington, M. & Hoekje, B. Language program leadership in a changing world: An ecological model. Bingley, UK: Emerald Press, 2010.
- Hoekje, B. & Van Zanten, M. Language and Communication. Alguire, Whelan, & Rajput (Eds.), The international medical resident's guide to U.S. medicine and residency training. Philadelphia: American College of Physicians (ACP), 2008.
- Hoekje, B. Medical discourse and ESP courses for international medical graduates (IMGs). English for specific purposes 26, 327-343, 2006.