Fraser Fleming, PhD
Department Head and Professor of Chemistry
Department of Chemistry
- Oregon State University, Post-doctoral fellow, 1990-1992
- University of British Columbia (Canada) Ph.D. Organic Chemistry, 1990
- Massey University (New Zealand), B.S. (Hons.) Chemistry, 1986
Research is focused on rapidly constructing biologically relevant scaffolds as potential pharmaceutical leads. Two complementary research areas comprise most of the research effort: the use of metalated nitriles as potent nucleophiles for hindered bond construction, and the use of metalated isocyanides as precursors to peptide mimics. The research has been primarily funded by the National Institutes of Health and the National Science Foundation.
Fraser Fleming earned his BS (Hons.) at Massey University, New Zealand, in 1986 and a PhD under the direction of Edward Piers at the University of British Columbia, Canada, in 1990. After postdoctoral research with James D. White at Oregon State University he joined the faculty at Duquesne University, Pittsburgh, in 1992. In 2013 he took a temporary position as a program director at the National Science Foundation working in the Synthesis Program and the Catalysis Program. His research interests lie in stereochemistry and organometallics, particularly as applied to the reactions of nitriles and isonitriles.
Specialization:Rapidly constructing biologically relevant scaffolds as potential pharmaceutical leads, metalated nitriles as potent nucleophiles for hindered bond construction, metalated isocyanides as precursors to peptide mimics
- "Enantioselective Installation of Quaternary Centers in Cyclic Oxonitriles" Gunes, Y.; Arcelik, N.; Sahin, E.; Fleming, F. F.; Altundas, R. Eur. J. Org. Chem. 2015, 81, in press.
- "Chemoselective Alkylations with N- and C-Metalated Nitriles" Yang, X.; Nath, D.; Fleming, F. F. Org. Lett. 2015, pending revision.
- "Metalated Nitriles: SNi' Cyclizations with a Propargylic Electrophile" Lu, P.; Pakkala, V. S.; Evanseck, J.; Fleming, F. F. Tetrahedron Lett. 2015, 56,3216-3219.
- "Alkyl Sulfinates: Formal Nucleophiles for Synthesizing TosMIC Analogs" Montelongo, J. A. L.; Estevez, A. O.; Fleming, F. F. Eur. J. Org. Chem. 2015, 1602-1605.
- "Arylthio-Metal Exchange of α-Arylthioalkanenitriles" Nath, D.; Skilbeck, M.; Coldham, I.; Fleming, F. F. Org. Lett. 2014, 16, 62−65.
- "Dithiolopyranthione Synthesis, Spectroscopy, and an Unusual Reactivity with DDQ" Pimkov, I. V.; Nigam, A.; Venna, K.; Fleming, F. F.; Solntsev, P. V.; Nemykin, V. N.; Basu, P. J. Heterocyclic Chem. 2013, 50, 879-886.
- "Metalated Nitriles: SNi and SNi' Installation of Contiguous Quaternary-Tertiary and Quaternary-Quaternary Centers" Lujan-Montelongo, J. A.; Lu, P.; Liu, W.; Fleming, F. F. Chem. Eur. J. 2013, 19, 8746-8750.
- "Metalated Nitriles: N- and C-Coordination Preferences of Li, Mg, and Cu Cations" Purzycki, M.; Liu, W.; Hilmersson, G.; Fleming, F. F. Chem. Commun. 2013, 49, 4700-4702.
- "Preparation of 3-Oxocyclohex-1ene-1-carbonitrile" Lujan-Montelongo, J. A.; Fleming, F. F.; Hughes, D. Org. Synth. 2013, 90, 229-239.
- "Sulfinylnitriles: Sulfinyl-Metal Exchange-Alkylation Strategies" Nath, D.; Fleming, F. F. Chem. Eur. J. 2013, 19, 2023-2029.
- "g- and d-Hydroxynitriles: Diastereoselective Electrophile-Dependent Alkylations" Mycka, R. J.; Eckenhoff, W. T.; Steward, O. W.; Barefoot, N. Z.; Fleming, F. F. Tetrahedron, 2013, 69,366-376.