Jody A. Roberts, PhD
Research Faculty, Center for Science, Technology & Society
Director, Center for Contemporary History and Policy, Chemical Heritage Foundation
Center for Science, Technology and Society
- PhD, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Science & Technology Studies, 2006
- MS, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Science &Technology Studies, 2002
- BS, Saint Vincent College, Chemistry, 1999
Intersections of emerging molecular sciences and public policy and the ways in which tensions brought about between the two get resolved
Roberts’s work explores the intersections of emerging molecular sciences and public policy and the ways in which tensions brought about between the two get resolved. He received advanced degrees in science and technology studies from Virginia Tech, where he cultivated an interest in the practice of the molecular sciences and the ways in which they are shaped by internal architecture and design (e.g., technologies of the laboratory) and the politics of the broader world (e.g., chemical regulations). Those interests became the basis for the projects that formed CHF’s Environmental History and Policy Program, which explores social, technical, and policy innovations for governing molecules. Before becoming the first manager of the Environmental History and Policy Program, he was the Charles C. Price Fellow and Gordon Cain Fellow at CHF. Roberts is a senior fellow in the Environmental Leadership Program. He also lectures in the History and Sociology of Science Department at the University of Pennsylvania and in the Center for Public Policy at Drexel University. Roberts holds an undergraduate degree in chemistry from Saint Vincent College.
Current Research Projects
- From Inception to Reform: An Oral History of the Toxic Substances Control Act
- Consortium for Community-Based Science
- Exposed Communities: Ambler
- Vogel, Sarah A. and Jody A. Roberts. 2011. “Why the Toxic Substances Control Act Needs an Overhaul, And How to Strengthen Oversight of Chemicals I the Interim.” Health Affairs May, 30(5), pp. 898-905.
- Roberts, Jody A. 2011. “Creating and Controlling Chemical Hazards: A Brief History.” Pp. 3-14 in Global Collaborations in Managing Chemical and Environmental Risks. Edited by Philip Wexler, Jan van der Kolk, Asish Mohapatra, and Ravi Agarwal. London and New York: CRC Press.
- Roberts, Jody A. 2008. New Chemical Bodies: A Conversation on Human Biomonitoring and Endocrine-Disrupting Chemicals. Chemical Heritage Foundation, Philadelphia.
- Choi, Hyungsub, Sarah Kaplan, and Cyrus C. M. Mody, and Jody A. Roberts. 2008. Setting an Agenda for the Social Studies of Nanotechnology: A Summary of the Joint Wharton–Chemical Heritage Foundation Symposium on the Social Studies of Nanotechnology. Wharton and Chemical Heritage Foundation, Philadelphia.