Christian Hunold, PhD
Department of Politics
Department of Global Studies and Modern Languages
Center for Science, Technology and Society
Center for Public Policy
- MA, Political Science, University of Pittsburgh, 1993
- PhD, Political Science, University of Pittsburgh 1998
Comparative politics, environmental politics, political theory
One of my teachers at the University of Pittsburgh thought the only really good reason for studying politics was to figure out how to make democracy work better. I hope that this concern for democracy's health is evident in my own teaching and writing in environmental politics and political theory. I teach comparative politics and environmental politics in the undergraduate political science major as well as public policy graduate courses for the Center for Public Policy. My current research interests encompass urban sustainability issues and the politics of renewable energy.
- Hunold, C. (forthcoming). Deliberative Policy Making. International Encyclopedia of Political Science. Thousand Oaks: Sage.
- Travaline, K., & Hunold, C. (2010). Urban Agriculture and Ecological Citizenship in Philadelphia. Local Environment: The International Journal of Justice and Sustainability, 15(6): 581-590.
- Hunold, C., et al. (2009) Ecological Modernization, Risk Society, and the Green State. In Arthur P.J. Mol, David A Sonnenfeld, & Gert Spaargaren (Eds.), The Ecological Modernisation Reader. New York: Routledge.
- Hendriks, C., Dryzek, J. S. & Hunold, C. (2007). Turning Up the Heat: Partisanship in Deliberative Innovation. Political Studies 55(2): 362-383.
- Hendriks, C., Dryzek, J. S. & Hunold, C. (Forthcoming). Turning Up the Heat: Partisanship in Deliberative Innovation. Political Studies .
- Hunold, C. (2006). The European Commission's E-Government Initiatives and Public Participation. In Ari-Veikko Anttiroiko & Matti Mälkiä (Eds.), Encyclopedia of Digital Government . Hershey , PA : Idea Group.
Green States and Social Movements: Environmentalism in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, and Norway
. (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2003). ISBN 0199249032. 223 pp.
European Politics Reconsidered . (Teaneck, NJ: Holmes & Meier Publishers Inc; 2nd edition, 1997). ISBN 0841913641. 369 pp.
- Hunold, C. (2005.) Green Political Theory and the European Union: The Case for a Nonintegrated Civil Society. Environmental Politics 14(3), 324-343.
- Hunold, C. & Dryzek, J. S. (2005). Green Political Strategy and the State: Combining Political Theory and Comparative History. In John Barry & Robyn Eckersley (Eds.), The State and the Global Ecological Crisis (pp.75-95). Boston, MA: MIT Press.
- Hunold, C. (2004). Procedural and Substantive Criteria for Siting Justice. Swiss Political Science Review 10(4), 192-201.
- Hunold, C. (2002). Canada 's Low-Level Radioactive Waste Disposal Problem: Voluntarism Reconsidered . Environmental Politics, 11 (2), 49-72.
- Hunold, C. & Dryzek, J. S. (2002). Green Political Theory and the State: Context is Everything. Global Environmental Politics, 2 (3), 17-39.
- Dryzek, J. S., Hunold, C. & Schlosberg, D. (2002). Environmental Transformation of the State: The USA, Norway, Germany , and the UK . Political Studies, 50 (4), 659-682.