Shivanthi Anandan, PhD
Department of Biology
- BS, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka. (in Botany)
- PhD, University of California at Los Angeles
I am interested in how photosynthetic organisms perceive and respond to environmental signals, particularly light. In addition, we are interested in how cell adhesion molecules and events result in the formation of filaments in filamentous cyanobacteria. Current projects in the lab are:
- Elucidating the psbDII high-light signal transduction pathway in Synechococcus elongatus PCC7942.
- Deciphering the function of putative eukaryotic-type extra-cellular matrix protein genes in cyanobacteria
Specialization:My research program uses molecular genetic and classical microbial genetics to study signal transduction pathways in marine and freshwater cyanobacteria.
- S. Anandan, M. Nalty, D. Cogdell and S.S. Golden (1996). Identification of two classes of transcriptional activator genes in the cyanobacterium Synechococcus sp. strain PCC 7942. Archives of Microbiology 166: 58-63.
- S. Anandan and S.S. Golden (1997). Cis-acting sequences required for light-responsive expression of the psbDII gene in Synechococcus sp. strain PCC 7942. J. Bacteriol. 179: 6865-6870.
- S. Anandan and J. Uram* (2004). Genetic Selection Scheme for Isolation of Signal Transduction Pathway mutants. Appl. Environ. Microbiol.70:967-972.
- S. Anandan. (2006). Genomic and Proteomic Approaches for Studying Bacterial Stress Responses. In Advances in Microbial Food Safety. V. Juneja, J.P. Cherry and M.H Tunick eds. ACS Books.
- Kimberly D. Magrini, Amit Basu, James R. Spotila, Harold W. Avery, Lawrence W. Bergman, Rachel Hammond, and Shivanthi Anandan. (2008) DNA microarrays detect effects of soil contamination on Arabidopsis thaliana gene expression. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry.28: 2476-2387.
- S. Anandan (2008) Sample Portfolios from Across Disciplines: Bioscience and Biotechnology. In The Academic Portfolio: A Practical Guide to Documenting Teaching, Research, and Service by Peter Seldin and Elizabeth Miller 1st edition : Jossey-Bass Publishing Company Inc.
- M. Koro, S. Anandan and J.J. Quinlan. (2010). Microbial quality of food available to populations of differing socioeconomic status. Am. J. Prev. Med. 38: 478-481.
- Simara Price and Shivanthi Anandan (2013). Characterization of a novel collagen-like protein TrpA in Trichodesmium erythraeum. J. Phycol. 49: 758-764.
- Jacob Russell, Yi Hu, Linh Chau*, Margarita Pauliushchyk*, Ioannis Anastopoulos*, Shivanthi Anandan and Michael S. Waring (2014). Indoor biofilter growth and exposure to airborne chemicals similarly alter bacterial communities from plant roots. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 80: 4805-4813.
- Simara Price, Siobhan Toal and Shivanthi Anandan (2014). The TrpA protein in Trichodesmium erythraeum IMS101 is a non-fibril forming collagen and a component of the outer sheath. Microbiology. 160: 2148-2156
* undergraduate author