Advising FAQs

Email Guidelines

In-person advising is preferable to e-mail advising for on campus students. For online students, it is the primary mode of communication. However, often it is more convenient to ask a question via e-mail than to come in person. We offer e-mail advising as a service to supplement our person-to-person interaction.

E-mail is meant for brief inquiries and questions. If you encounter a complex and/or personal situation, it is best to call or come in person to discuss your situation so we may better assist you.

To protect your privacy, do not include your social security number with your e-mail, however, please include your Drexel ID number so we can easily access your record.

We can not send information regarding your personal student record via a non-Drexel e-mail account. You can view your Drexel academic records using your DrexelOne account.

For privacy and security reasons, it is in your best interest to communicate with Advisors and Instructors using your Drexel email account only. For a quicker response, your Drexel email account and ID number will help us help you faster.

If not using your validated Drexel email account, know that the Drexel advisor will use your provided Drexel student ID number to validate your identity.

Once you provide your student ID number and questions specific to your academic situation, an advisor will review your record in order to answer your questions. Email may be casual but always professional. Proper salutations, punctuation, and grammar are simply good practice.

What is Academic Probation?

A cumulative grade point average of 2.0 is required for graduation for all undergraduate programs at Drexel. If your cumulative GPA is less than 2.0 at the end of any term, you will be notified and placed on a warning list, placed on probation or dropped from the University. Please see the University Catalog for complete details.

Can I receive Advanced Credit from AP exams?

You may be waived from required courses based on results from AP examinations. Upper-level electives will be substituted in place of the waived courses.

How do I make an appointment with my Academic Advisor?

You make an appointment with your advisor by calling the Dean's Office at (215) 895-1805. If you have a quick question or are having difficulties scheduling an appointment, you are encouraged to e-mail your advisor.

What information can I view on Drexel One?

DrexelOne has replaced the old BannerWeb site. By using DrexelOne you can accomplish the following Academic Record Services:

  1. Enroll for Courses
  2. Withdraw from courses: You can withdraw from courses up until the end of the second week of the term via Banner Web
  3. Update Mailing Address: Students are responsible for making changes to their mailing addresses via Banner Web
  4. View your schedule: Courses for which you are officially registered
  5. View your grades: Grades are submitted at the end of each term
  6. Course Offerings: All courses offered for the current and upcoming term
  7. The SRC Web site also contains pertinent, time-specific information concerning registration, graduation, billing and Financial aid. Please see listing under "Current Students" to find this information.

What is a normal courseload?

The normal course load for full-time undergraduate students is 15-18 credits per term. However, tuition payments cover a maximum of 20 credits per term. You must pay on a per credit basis for any additional credits beyond 20. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO register for more than 20 credits. You must see your academic advisor for an override for this restriction, and granting of this override is very rare.

How do I enroll or withdraw from a course?

You are registered for all courses that appear on your schedule unless you withdraw from a course via Banner Web or via a withdrawal form. Non-attendance does not delete the class from your schedule, you MUST withdraw from the course.

First term freshmen and transfer students MUST see an academic advisor to make ANY schedule adjustment.

Procedure for making a schedule change DURING the first two weeks of the term:

You will be able to process all Course Enrollment/Changes/Withdrawals via Banner Web according to a specific timetable. Enrollment in courses may still be subject to one or more of the following restrictions and your academic advisor will be responsible for resolving the restrictions:

  • Course enrollment capacity
  • Permission required
  • Non-fulfillment of prerequisite or co-requisite requirements
  • Maximum credit hours exceeded
  • Time conflicts
  • Registration for all appropriate parts of a course (ex. lecture, lab, and recitation)

Procedure for making a schedule change AFTER the second week of class:

  • You must see your advisor to withdraw from any course after the second week of the term. Undergraduates may withdraw until the sixth week of the term.
  • Any requests to withdraw from courses AFTER the second week of the term until the final date to withdraw from will result in a "W" notation on your academic transcript.
  • You are financially responsible for tuition charges for classes withdrawn after the second week of class. Please refer to the University Catalog for details on these charges.

The receipt of financial aid requires that students maintain satisfactory academic progress. Students who do not complete 12 credits per term are in jeopardy of losing financial aid.

How many credits do I need to achieve the next class level?

Class Level Credits
Freshman 0-39.5
Sophomore 40-70
Pre-Junior 70.5-96
Junior 96.5-129.5
Senior 130+

How do I register for classes?

All students are expected to develop a schedule of classes on a quarterly basis prior to their assigned Time Tickets. All students (with the exception of first-time Drexel students who are registered by their academic advisors) may register for classes via the DrexelOne portal. Time Tickets are assigned to students based on class year (i.e. sophomore, pre-junior) or in some instances based on the need to avoid scheduling conflicts (student athetes, etc.). Time Tickets are produced by the Office of the University Registrar.

Students may add/drop classes during the Adjustment Period, which begins one week prior to the start of classes and ends at the close of the second week.

When considering which courses to register for, students should reference the Academic Plan of Study to ensure that core requirements are met. The Academic Plan of Study is available from academic advisors and provides detailed information regarding course requirements for both the college/school and major. Students who are unsure of which courses to register for are strongly encouraged to contact their academic advisors.

To add/drop a class, complete the following:

  • Login to DrexelOne at
  • Click the "Student" tab
  • In the "Registration" channel, click "Add/Drop Classes"
  • Select the appropriate term
  • Under the "Add Classes Worksheet", enter Course Registration Number(s) (CRNs) in the fields and click the "Submit Changes" button

When does registration begin and end?

Registration usually begins week 4 of the prior term through Monday night week 9 of the term of registration. The web will then reopen Wednesday following final exams through Sunday the second week of the term. Fall term registration may vary.

What is a registration time ticket and how are they impacted by earned credits?

A registration time ticket refers to priority registration: It basically tells you when you can register for a select term. The time ticket is then based on your classification, which is based on earned credits (freshman, sophomore, pre-junior, etc.). Classifications are based on earned credit ranges listed below.

Class Level Credits
Freshman 0-39.5
Sophomore 40-70
Junior 70.5-96
Senior 130+

What is Senior Privilege?

Senior Privilege affords seniors a one-time opportunity to take an additional final exam to make up a failing grade in a course required for graduation. The following criteria apply:

  • Senior Privilege may only be invoked once during an undergraduate career
  • The failing grade must have been incurred during the period in which a student is classified as a Senior
  • The make-up exam used for Senior Privilege must be taken during the second day of exam week
  • The grade for the exam must be reported to the Student Administrative Services Center by the fourth day of the exam period, by the instructor.

Can I transfer credits from another college or university?

If you would like to take a course at another college or university in order to transfer those credits toward your CoAS program, please see your academic advisor for approval and guidance. Do not take a course at another college or university without obtaining approval first. You must complete the approved course with a grade of C or better, and you must request that an official transcript be sent directly to your Dean's office advisor.