Dr. Argie Allen’s Tips: Infidelity and Forgiveness
November 1, 2012 —
Last month, Dr. Argie Allen was featured in a FOX-29 segment about infidelity. Here, she shares some of her expertise and explains who forgives whom more willingly, frequently, and why:
- Women are more emotional but also more able to see shades of gray, not just black vs. white.
- Men tend to be more territorial and have difficulty viewing infidelity from a shades of gray perspective.
- Women may be more fearful of starting over so they may compromise with regard to infidelity more so than a male would.
- Men often feel that they have more options so they are willing to try out another relationship instead of staying with their unfaithful partner or spouse.
- Recovering from infidelity is hard but not impossible whether you stick it out or leave.
Dr. Argie’s tips for staying in a relationship after infidelity occurs:
- Seek support through therapy.
- Be patient yet hopeful with the process.
- Be open to the process of forgiveness.
- Commit to not breaking trust going forward.
- Keep talking. Don’t shut down or shut your partner out.