This 24 credit minor focuses on the basic competencies associated with helping people in recovery from substance use disorders. Students complete 15 credits of required coursework and nine elective credits. Students should consult with faculty in the Behavioral Health Counseling Program for advice in selecting electives that will best meet their educational and career goals. Students may begin coursework in this minor at any point in their undergraduate education.
This minor can be completed in conjunction with a wide range of Drexel majors, including:
- Criminal Justice
- Health Services Administration
- Health Sciences
- General Humanities and Social Science
- Nutrition and Food Sciences
What you'll learn
Students in this minor will study:
- the various types of substance use disorders and the neurobiology of these disorders;
- the processes of recovery and relapse prevention;
- the basics of psychotherapeutic interventions including cognitive behavioral therapy;
- how to do Motivational Interviewing, an evidence-based approach to helping people change their behavior.
What makes the Drexel Behavioral Health Counseling Addictions Counseling Minor program unique?
- Students have access to the state-of-the-art Clinical Learning Resources Center where interaction within client-counselor simulations help students develop counseling skills.
- Classes meet just once per week to allow time for interactive role-play practice and demonstration of subject matter being taught.
Class size is generally kept small to allow for individualized attention
to student skill acquisition.
The College of Nursing and Health Professions has a compliance process that may be required for every student. Some of these steps may take significant time to complete. Please plan accordingly.
Visit the Compliance pages for more information.
Students may elect to begin coursework in this minor at any point in their undergraduate education. It is strongly suggested that students pursuing this minor consult with faculty in the Behavioral Health Counseling Program for advice in selecting electives that will best meet their goals in this minor.
Required Courses and Course Descriptions