The Certificate in Medical Billing and Coding is a fully-accredited online, six-course certificate program offered by Drexel's College of Nursing and Health Professions. It is designed for those who want to the field of medical billing and coding or enhance their current careers in medical billing and coding for hospitals, clinics, medical offices, nursing homes, health insurance organizations and others. Students learn principles of medical billing and coding related to the three main coding manuals: CPT, ICD-9-CM, and HCPCS. ICD-10 is targeted for implementation in fall 2015.
Program Length and Certification Opportunities
Depending on the number of courses you take per quarter, the certificate program can usually be completed within one year. Those students who are currently holding transferable credits from another college can inquire whether those credits and the credits earned from this program may be applied as toward the 180 quarter credits (or 120 semester credits) required for the fully online BS in Health Services Administration degree.
Completion of this Certificate in Medical Billing and Coding program qualifies students to sit for the following national certification exams:
Key Program Features and Benefits
- American Medical Billing Association (AMBA) CMRS exam and become a Certified Medical Reimbursement Specialist (CMRS)
- American Academy of Professional Coder's (AAPC) Certified Professional Coder's (CPC or CPC-H) board exam
- American Health Information Management Association's (CCS or CCS-P) board exam
- Fully accredited by Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
- Flexible as the courses are all online—you need never come to campus and can complete it at your own pace
- Apply what you learn in your work. Learn the three main billing and coding manuals (CPT, ICD-9-CM, and HCPCS) and prepare to sit for the national exams
- Drexel is a recognized name in health care education
- Affordable special tuition rates are available for online students. Special tuition rates also apply for employees of partnering corporations and members of partner professional associations.
- A completed application
- At least one official transcript (from either high school or a previously attended college)
- Instead of hard copy transcripts, your previous institution can supply official electronic transcripts directly to Drexel University Online through a password secured link or website (use our email address, applyDUonline@drexel.edu.)
- Use our Transcript Lookup Tool to assist you in contacting your previous institutions.
The College of Nursing and Health Professions has a compliance process that may be required for every student. Some of these steps may take significant time to complete. Please plan accordingly.
Visit the Compliance pages for more information.
Tuition and Fee Rates:
Please visit the Drexel University Online Certificate in Medical Billing and Coding page.