Graduate Admissions FAQ

Where should I send the application? Should it be sent directly to the Chemistry Department?

For application instructions and to apply online visit Drexel University Admissions. Here you will find all the necessary information to apply for admission.

By when must I submit my application ?

If you are applying for entry in the fall quarter and also applying for financial aid within the full-time Ph.D. program, you should have your complete application submitted by the end of January of the calendar year in which you plan to enter the program in fall. Other applicants should submit no later than a month prior to the quarter they intend to enter the program.

What type of financial aid (fellowships, etc.) is available at Drexel?

Stipend support in the form of Teaching Assistantships (T/A) is awarded on a competitive basis. The standards for receiving stipend support are considerably higher than those for acceptance into the graduate program. Please note that such stipend support is available only to students in the Ph.D. program.

Stipend support as a Research Assistant may be negotiated with the research advisor. These stipends are dependent on the availability of funds and other factors. Graduate students are rarely granted research assistantships before their second year of study.

Do you require GRE scores?

Domestic students who are applying for any type of financial aid must submit the general (Verbal, Quantitative, Analytical) GRE scores. All international students must submit their GRE scores.

Is there any minimum requirement for scores on the GRE's?

For acceptance into the program and to be competitive for a stipend an applicant needs a total score of 1100 for the GRE Verbal and GRE Quantitative combined.

Is there an English language requirement for admission or financial aid?

If you are not a native English speaker (living in a country where English is the official language), then you need to submit a TOEFL score of at least 600 (paper based TOEFL) or 100 (internet based TOEFL) to be acceptable for the program and to be considered for a Teaching Assistantship.

Do I have to pay the application fee?

The application fee is waived if you apply on-line through the Graduate Admissions website.

Can I enter the Graduate Program in terms other than Fall Quarter?

In principle, you can enter during any term (quarter). However, if you are applying for financial aid, you may be limited by the calendar. In particular, international applicants receiving Teaching Assistantship support are required to be on campus by the beginning of August and start classes in the Fall quarter.

How do I respond the question in the application packet about "financial resources and sponsorship to aid studies."

The applicant should indicate any external scholarships if they have one, but this is not a requirement for admission. Indeed, few applicants have any external scholarships. On the other hand, an external scholarship can enhance the strength of the application.

For International Applicants

Is the TOEFL the only measure of English communication skills that is required?

For admission, it is. For potential financial aid awardees, we require additional evaluations, such as a TSE (Test of Spoken English) or a telephone interview.

What is this DS-2019 form mentioned in the application packet?

It is important for the admissions process to know whether you have external scholarship or family/personal financial support. If you have neither, then you need not submit the DS-2019 until after you have been accepted.