A Holiday Message from the Interim Dean
December 16, 2015
Dear Friends and Colleagues,
The holiday season offers us a chance to relax, give thanks and celebrate the collective achievements of our College. As 2015 draws to a close, I’d like to take a moment to recognize a small sample of the many achievements and milestones that made this a phenomenal year for CCI:
With the University welcoming its newest tenants the Innovation Neighborhood this month, it is truly an exciting time to be at Drexel. I am confident that we will achieve even more great things in 2016, and I look forward sharing those successes with you in the coming year.
- We graduated our first, official class of more than 420 undergraduate and graduate students at the 128th Commencement Ceremonies in June, with 10 students earning their PhDs in computer science or information studies.
- We formed two departments – Computer Science and Information Science – to position our extraordinary faculty to collaborate on interdisciplinary research and teaching opportunities, and to continue to innovate within our undergraduate and graduate academic programs.
- Our faculty were awarded over $3.3 million in new research grants since July, which is a performance that puts us among an elite group of colleges at Drexel. It is therefore not surprising that this year our distinguished faculty and students were recipients of a long list of distinctions and awards.
- We have enrolled our largest freshman class in our short history and I am proud to acknowledge that CCI is now home to the University’s largest undergraduate major: the Bachelor of Science in Computer Science.
- Thanks to the leadership of our student organizers, we held our most successful Philly Codefest yet in February, with more than 200 students, professionals and mentors in attendance. We look forward to seeing more innovative ideas come to life at next year’s Codefest on Feb. 20, 2016 in Behrakis Grand Hall.
I wish you and your loved ones a joyous holiday season and a prosperous New Year!
Spiros Mancoridis, PhD
Interim Dean, CCI