BS in Software Engineering
Bachelor of Science in Software Engineering (BSSE) program prepares students for developing software for information systems, systems software, and other domains.
The BSSE program
- Concentrates on the application of processes, methods, and tools to building and maintaining quality computer software
- Encompasses behavioral, managerial and technical aspects of software engineering and attempts to synthesize disciplinary paradigms and themes
- Multidisciplinary degree run by both the College of Computing & Informatics and the College of Engineering, drawing on Drexel's traditional excellence in information science, computer science and engineering
- Meets the growing demand for individuals skilled in the development of software
- Often leads to Systems Software Engineer positions - one of the fastest-growing careers in the U.S.
Program Educational Objectives
Within three to five years of graduating, alumni of the program are expected to achieve one or more of the following milestones:
- Graduates of the program obtain employment as software developers, where their software and communication skills eventually propel them toward technical and administrative leadership positions in industry and government.
- Graduates of the program demonstrate an ability to continue to learn throughout their career and to keep pace with changing technology as appropriate to their positions.
- Graduates of the program specialize and enhance their software engineering knowledge by enrolling and completing technical graduate courses and other technical education to position them to advance software engineering practice as senior technical staff members or managers.
- Graduates of the program specialize and enhance their software engineering knowledge by enrolling and graduating from MSc and PhD degree programs to position them to contribute to the intellectual foundations of the discipline of software engineering as researchers in industrial and government laboratories as well as in academia.
- Graduates of the program advance toward becoming leaders in disciplines other than software engineering by enrolling and graduating from graduate-level degree programs in complimentary disciplines such as law and business, where the BSSE serves as an educational foundation.
- Graduates of the program will demonstrate an awareness of their professional and social responsibility as software engineers by participation in professional activities and application of their knowledge for the good of society.
Software Engineering Student Outcomes
The program enables students to attain, by the time of graduation:
- An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science and engineering
- An ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
- An ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability and sustainability
- An ability to function on multidisciplinary teams
- An ability to identify, formulate and solve engineering problems
- An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
- An ability to communicate effectively
- The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental and societal context
- A recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning
- A knowledge of contemporary issues
- An ability to use the techniques, skills and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.
- The Software Engineering program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission (EAC) of ABET.
A complete list of the BS in Software Engineering program educational objectives/student outcomes may also be viewed on Drexel's Undergraduate Catalog.
BSSE Degree Course Requirements & Descriptions
Please visit Drexel's Undergraduate Catalog for course requirements and descriptions. To find out when courses are offered, please visit Drexel's Term Master Schedule.
To view the latest BS in Software Engineering program enrollment numbers, please click here.