Yinghui Zhong, PhD
School of Biomedical Engineering, Science and Health Systems
Office: Bossone 716
Yinghui Zhong received her BS degree in Materials Science and Engineering (1996), and her MS degree in Biomedical Sciences and Biotechnology (1999) from Tsinghua University in Beijing China. Dr. Zhong received her PhD in 2006 from Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta, Georgia. Her research interested focused on the use of tissue engineering approaches to restore the function of the nervous system. Her current research projects include spinal cord repair, and engineering neural prosthesis/brain interface using biomaterials, drug delivery, and stem cell therapy.
- PhD, Biomedical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA, 2006
- MS, Biological Sciences and Biotechnology, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, 1999
- BS, Materials Science and Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, 1996
Neural tissue engineering, biomaterials, neural electrode/tissue interface, spinal cord repair, stem cells, surface modification, and drug delivery.
- Wang Z, Nong J, Shultz RB, Zhang Z, Tom VJ, Ponnappan RK, and Zhong Y. Local delivery of minocycline from metal ion-assisted self-assembled complexes promotes neuroprotection and functional recovery after spinal cord injury. Biomaterials, 112, 62-71, (2017).
- Zhang Z., Li Q., Han L., and Zhong Y. Layer-by-Layer Films Assembled from Natural Polymers for Sustained Release of Neurotrophin. Biomedical Materials, 10(5), 055006, (2015).
- Zhang Z., Nong J., and Zhong Y., Antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and neuroprotective layer-by-layer coatings for neural implants. Journal of Neural Engineering, 12(4), 046015, (2015).
- Zhang Z., Wang Z., Nong J., Nix C.A., Ji H.F., and Zhong Y., Metal ion-assisted self-assembly of complexes for controlled and sustained release of minocycline for biomedical applications. Biofabrication, 7(1), 015006, (2015).
- Zhang Z., Nix C.A., Gerstenhaber J.A., and Zhong Y., Calcium binding-mediated sustained release of minocycline from hydrophilic multilayer coatings targeting infection and inflammation for medical implants. PLoS One, 9(1), e84360, (2014).
- Karumbaiah L., Anand S., Thazhath R., Zhong Y., McKeon R.J., Bellamkonda R.V., Targeted downregulation of N-acetylgalactosamine 4-sulfate 6-O-sulfotransferase significantly mitigates chondroitin sulfate proteoglycan-mediated inhibition. Glia, 59(6), 981-996, (2011).
- Zhong Y., and Bellamkonda R.V., Biomaterials for the central nervous system. Journal of the Royal Society Interface, 5(26), 957-975, (2008).
- Zhong Y., and Bellamkonda R.V., Dexamethasone-coated neural probes elicit attenuated inflammatory response and neuronal loss compared to uncoated neural probes. Brain Research, 1148, 15-27, (2007).
- Patz T.M., Doraiswamy A., Narayan R.J., Menegazzo N., Kranz C., Mizaikoff B., Zhong Y., Bellamkonda R., Bumgardner J.D.,. Elder S.H, Walboomers X.F., Modi R. and
- Chrisey D.B., Matrix assisted pulsed laser evaporation of biomaterial thin films. Materials Science and Engineering: C, 27(3), 514-522, (2007).
- Patz T.M., Doraiswamy A., Narayan R.J., He W., Zhong Y., Bellamkonda R., Modi R., and Chrisey D.B., Three-Dimensional Direct Writing of Neuroblasts, Journal of Biomedical Materials Research B, , 78 (1), 124-130, (2006).
- Zhong Y., and Bellamkonda R.V., Controlled release of alpha-MSH using nitrocellulose coatings for neural implants. Journal of Controlled Release, 106(3), 309-318, (2005).
- Zhong Y., McConnell G.C., Ross J.D., DeWeerth S.P., And Bellamkonda R.V., A Novel Dexamethasone-releasing, Anti-inflammatory Coating for Neural Implants. Proceedings of the 2nd International IEEE EMBS Conference on Neural Engineering, pp. 522-525, (2005). (win the Journal of Neural Engineering Award 2005)
- Zhong Y., Yu X., Gilbert R.J., and Bellamkonda R.V., Stabilizing electrode-host interfaces: a tissue engineering approach. Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development, 38(6), 627- 632, (2001).
- Gong H., Zhong Y., Li J., Gong Y., Zhao N. and Zhang X., Studies on nerve cell affinity of chitosan-derived materials, Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, 52(2), 285-295, (2000).
- Zhong Y., Li J., Gong Y., Zhao N., and Zhang X., Feasibility of Using Chitosan in Nerve Repair, Tsinghua Science and Technology, 5(4), 432-435, ( 2000).
- Li J., Zhong Y., Gong Y., Zhao N., and Zhang X., Chitosan Conduit for Peripheral Nerve Regeneration, Tsinghua Science and Technology, (4)3, 1515-1518, (1999).