Inversand, Mantua, New Jersey
3rd Annual Community Fossil Dig Day at Inversand
Saturday, September 27, 2014
10:00 AM-6:00 PM
On behalf of the Mantua Township Committee, Township Administrator, Mantua Township Economic Development, Drexel University and the Inversand Company, we invite you and your family and friends to tour the Inversand site where a real fossil excavation is ongoing under the direction of paleontologist Ken Lacovara, PhD and the Inversand fossil team.
Learn how this local site is of global importance in Earth’s history and how we are working together to save this site through preservation acquisition efforts, which will:
- Protect the current 65-million-year-old fossils, which are still being recovered today from the Inversand quarry, from immediate peril;
- Preserve this monumental site for future generations of researchers, educators, students and citizen scientists;
- Allow us to continue the fossil site tour/dig day events/school program events that have been held by Mantua Township and Drexel University, in partnership with the Inversand Company;
- Allow us to plan for the creation of a world-class Fossil Park and Center for K to Gray STEM Education at this redevelopment project site.
Since June 26, 2012, these fossil events have brought over 5,000 guests from all over the United States, to see for themselves the actual fossils that have been discovered from this site and to have the rare opportunity to dig for fossils themselves.
Name for Reservation:
(Last Name, First Name)
RSVP Total Guest Count #:
(Specify Adults, Children)
Select (1) Time Slot - 10am/Noon/2pm/4pm:
(If the time slot you are seeking does fill up (200 max) you will be contacted to select the next available event or elect to be placed on the event waiting list.)
Best Contact Phone Number for this Reservation:
Where Are You Visiting From?
(City, State, Country)
Once your reservation has been received you will get an email confirmation with additional event details and parking instructions to get on our event bus. Suggested donation of $5 per guest is being accepted at check-in on event day.
This is an RSVP-only event and guest size is limited to 200 guests per timeslot.
All reservations will be taken in the order in which they are received, first come, first serve. An email confirmation will be sent for your reservation. Parking:
All guests must park at the Target Shopping Center and take our event bus to the Inversand site. More details will be provided in your confirmation email. Rain Date:
Sunday, September 28, 2014 (same event time slot you were confirmed for) Your event program includes:
- Guests will get to see 65-million-year-old fossils on display that were discovered at Inversand;
- Ken Lacovara, PhD, on-site paleontologist, will highlight the ancient history of this fossil site and Drexel’s ongoing fossil excavation at Inversand;
- Guests will get a tour of the fossil excavation area; guests must be able to walk unassisted in this area--no baby strollers, scooters or walking aides allowed in this area (please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or to discuss any special circumstances);
- Guests will be invited to dig (excavate) for fossils in a designated fossil area; with on site paleontologist approval some fossils may be taken home;
- Fossil coloring station is available on site for all ages.
- We have allowed 15 minutes to get guests into the event and 15 minutes for guests to exit event. This allows our guests to enjoy approximately 1.5 hours for above listed activities during your event time.
856.468.1500 Ext. 12